Armenian Monk, 23, Wounded In Bethlehem Basilica

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2002

      ARMENIAN MONK, 23, WOUNDED IN BETHLEHEM BASILICA Not Clear If Shot Came from Israelis or Palestinians

      JERUSALEM, APRIL 10, 2002 (Zenit.org).- A 23-year-old Armenian monk was seriously wounded this morning in the premises of Bethlehem's Basilica of the Nativity, but not in danger of death.

      The monk was taken to Hadassah Ein Kerem hospital in Jerusalem.

      "He has still not recovered consciousness," Bishop Shirvanian Aris, director of ecumenical and foreign relations of the Patriarchate of the Armenian Orthodox Church in the Holy Land, told the Misna missionary agency.

      "The doctors have stopped the intense hemorrhage and have described his condition as stable. He might possibly be operated on Wednesday night or Thursday morning," the bishop said.

      The wounded monk is Armen Fianian, a novice of the Armenian community, which resides in the old monastery of the basilica. He was in his cell when he was hit in the back by a bullet.

      "We still cannot confirm if the shot came from the Israeli or Palestinian band," Bishop Aris explained.

      The Palestinians holed up in the church blamed Israeli soldiers. For its part, the Israeli army said the monk was wounded by Palestinians who started shooting when Israeli soldiers tried to take medicines and food to the monks.

      There are six monks in the buildings of the Armenian Orthodox community. Asked if they would be evacuated, Bishop Aris answered: "It is an issue that is out of the question at this time. The priority now is Armen's health."

      For over a week now, more than 200 Palestinians, most of them armed, have been holed up in the basilica. The holy place is surrounded by the Israeli army, which periodically asks the Palestinians to surrender.

      "The tension is very high. Frenetic work is being done in the hope of  resolving the situation before it explodes in our hands, with new armed action," the spokesman of the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land, Father David Jaeger, told the Vatican agency Fides.

    • John-Brian Paprock
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2002
        1. Prayer helps education to enhance truth, virtuous life, faith,
        reverence and mutual respect.
        2. One who prays to God Almighty daily will never be a liar, filthy
        mannered or one without faith. He will not ill-treat his fellow men
        or superiors.
        3. Prayer is the enthusiasm of childhood, the dependence of youth,
        and the peace of old age.
        4. Prayer with full heart will be accepted by God and it will be
        returned to us as a symbol of blessings.
        5. One, who loves his fellowmen, is a real devotee.
        6. Because all that is created by God deserves love, many things
        beyond our dreams are possible through prayer.
        7. Pray to God loudly during the day and night alike.
        8. These prayers will help us to remove the darkness in our lives,
        and to take away the weakness among us.
        9. These prayers are a means to achieve salvation and redemption,
        which are the final goals in our lives.
        10. So pray with hope and faith and worship God. Brethren, God
        will be pleased with you.
        11. Let there be the love of the Father, grace of the Son, and the
        fullness of the Holy Spirit that gives peace among you forever
        and ever.
        from an 1870 speech, translated by Jose Kurian Puliyeril, in
        Fr. E. J. Abraham's "St. Gregorios of Parumala" with some edits)

        Your servant in Christ,
        V. Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock, pastor
        Holy Transfiguration Malankara Orthodox Syrian Mission
        Madison, Wisconsin (608) 236-9622
        http://www.angelfire.com/wi/inroads/transfig.html
        "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power
        may be of God, and not us." IICor4:7
      • thomas_pa1
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2002
          The Armenian PATRIARCHATE of Jerusalem has confirmed that
          an Armenian sub-deacon (not a priest or monk, as has been
          reported elsewhere) has been shot. He was taken to
          Jerusalem's Hadassah Hospital, where he underwent surgery
          to stop excessive bleeding. He is currently in the hospital's
          intensive care unit. There is no official word on his
          prognosis, but the Patriarchate asks for everyone's prayers.

          Get the correct news from Armenian Diocese:
          http://www.armenianchurch.org/GetNewsOnDate.jsp?Id=3494
        • Paolo Guanco
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2002