Novel suggestions in Church survey

  • John Philip
    Message 1 of 3351 , Jun 7, 2005
      Novel suggestions in Church survey
      Tuesday June 7 2005 13:07 IST

      http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID==IER20050607024538&Page==R&Title==Kerala&Topic==0&

      KOCHI: Should the prospective brides and grooms go for a detailed medical check-up and submit the certificates before they take marriage vows? Yes, said a whopping 90 percent of the participants of a survey done by the Department of Family Apostolate of the Ernakulam-Angamaly Archdiocese. And an equal number wanted the girls to be given a chance to visit the groom’s house before marriage.

      Conducted among the participants attending the premarital courses organised by the diocese, the survey analysed 2,000 samples with equal number of men and women.

      Both sections were divided into categories with 650 persons from villages, 250 from towns and 100 from the city. Apart from Ernakulam, there were participants from other districts and dioceses.

      The survey was done as part of the directive of the Syro-Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Assembly which was held in Kochi last November.

      The increase in the number of AIDS cases as well as the rise in divorces in the community has made the assembly search for ways to strengthen family and social relations.

      Expansion of the activities of the apostolate to conduct premarital courses and other programmes, giving the prospective brides and grooms time and opportunity to know each other before marriage, medical check- up to detect diseases like AIDS and other problems and giving the brides a chance to visit the groom’s house were some of the suggestions made by the respondents.

      The survey results will be analysed and a detailed report will be sent to the Church’s higher authorities, said Fr Varghese Pulicken, director of the Apostolate.

      ‘‘It was a base-line survey to find out what the prospective brides and grooms feel about this and we will have to conduct a detailed survey before taking any decision in this regard,’’ he said.

      http://www.newindpress.com

      John Philip
      St.Joseph's Cathedral, Kottayam
      Member ID 0898