Meet Your Meat

  • George Aramath
    Message 1 of 3364 , May 14 3:21 PM
      I thought twice about writing this message, but then again, this forum can be a great place to discuss these issues. I happen to come across this link while surfing the net:

      http://www.meetyourmeat.com/

      The videos are long so you'll need a fast connection to see it. It should also have a 30 second clip, too. It talks about the meat that we eat. It definitely opened my eyes. I've heard of people who are vegetarians, but I've thought little of it. But the more I reflected about this video, the more it made sense.

      With the influx of mass production and profitability for companies, the consumers, including myself, are just concerned about cheaper prices. As Henry Ford introduced the assembly line, this concept is used for the meat that we eat. Animals that we consume (chickens, cow, pigs, etc.) are kept in small cages, cramped in, and unable to move. Chickens that live for many years are killed in a few months with hormone growth. Pigs go crazy because they can't move inside a small cage, which is their home until they're loaded into a truck to be butchered. This is the meat that we buy at the stores. Some of you may be thinking: big deal; who cares; these are just animals; we've got bigger problems. I thought the same way, too. But it did not seem right.

      Also visit: http://www.goveg.com/

      This site gives free information on becoming a vegetarian. I first thought that this information would be ideal before a Lent begins in our Church, but nonetheless, it's worth reading now. You can order a free DVD and Vegetarian Starter Kit from the site.

      Another link:

      http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/

      This site focuses on KFC, a fried chicken fast food restaurant, but the message is the same. Surprisingly, many celebrities are vegetarians, too.

      My point in posting this message is to share this valuable information with others. At first, I wanted to ignore what I saw. Who knows, maybe I'll still be eating meat. But it does make me think twice and has given me a whole new perspective on Lent. Christianity is brought up in this issue.

      Visit: http://www.jesusveg.com/

      This site includes a link at the bottom to Pope Benedict XVI's message against exploitation of farmed animals.

      So, I want to pose this question to all: What should be a Christian's reaction to this information? How are we to deal with this?

      Thank you for your inputs,

      George Aramath
      St. Ignatious Syriac Orthodox Church, Dallas
      Member ID # 0892
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3364 of 3364 , May 1 5:25 AM
        Dear honorable members