Re: Palm Sunday and Nahiré

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 3366 , Apr 24, 2005
      As per my understanding, per the traditions of our church the Feast of Resurrection should occur each year after the Jewish feast of Passover.

      If we follow the calculations our fathers has handed over to us to calculate the Easter date according to the Julian calendar, this is always ensured. This is why other Orthodox Churches who have changed to the new calendar (Gregorian), still calculate Easter according to the old calendar.

      For example this year the Jewish passover falls on 24-April-2005, and the Easter date of SOC is on 01-May-2005. However we in Malankara have started doing things more in line with Rome than Antioch and have already celeberated Easter on 27-March-2005 much earlier than the Jewish passover in violation of the teachings of our fathers.

      Why can't we in Malankara also celebrate Easter at the same time as our brethren in the rest of SOC and other Orthodox churches?

      I hope H.B Thomas I and our Holy Synod in Malankara will give some consideration and go back to the old calendar for the calculation of the Easter date, the same way the rest of the SOC does it.

      Mathew G M
      Member ID # 0929

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, SOCM wrote:

      > April 24 — May 1, the Syriac Orthodox church (Excluding Malankara),
      celebrates Palm Sun¬day, Nahire, the Passion and Easter.

    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3366 of 3366 , Jul 1 5:33 AM
        Dear honorable members

        Greetings in HIS name