Message from H.G. Ivanios Mathews Metropolitan

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 14, 2005
      Message from H.G. Ivanios Mathews Metropolitan:

      Dear beloved readers of SOCM Forum and the Moderators,

      After the Great Lent, we are passing through the experience of
      the “Power of Resurrection”. Christianity is a way of life. All
      the implementations of our Christian life anchored and proceeded
      through the power of resurrection. The word of God became man, not
      only lived, worked and died, but did rise from the dead. This has
      happened only once in history. But the experience continues…….!.
      For us life is Christ …#34; centered One. According to St. Peter we are
      the chosen people, ministers of the Kingdom, Holy people, a
      congregation redeemed to proclaim the glories of Him, who has called
      us out of darkness to His marvelous light. We are assigned to
      proclaim this experience.

      The manifestations of this great experience of resurrection could
      work out by the following:-

      (1) Worship: This is the basic character of the Church. Jesus
      himself did not seek His own will, but the will of Him who sent
      (St.John 5:30). Adoration happens when we experience the
      greatness. The women Jesus met at Sichar village; Peter after
      getting fish in abundance; Thomas after touching the resurrected
      Christ, did really worship Him.

      (2) Witness: Witnessing involves sacrifice. God send forth His
      only begotten Son to this Earth. Jesus laid down His life for the
      sake of saving the world. One can measure the love, by the extent
      of sacrifice involved in it. Selfishness is the main obstacle of
      love. Instead of selfishness, if one practices generosity then we
      can eradicate selfishness. This will lead to the real witnessing.

      (3) Sharing: Another mode to experience the power of resurrection
      is sharing; this is really the fruit. As Christians we are in this
      world not for us but for others. The ‘I’ concept must give way
      to ‘We’. We are the managers to see everything equally
      distributed. Along with Paul one will ask “who shall separate us
      from the love of Christ” (Romans 8:35).

      May God bless us to enjoy the Power of Resurrection.

      With love and prayers,

      Ivanios Mathews Metropolitan.
    • SOCM News Bureau
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 20, 2005
        Sirazi Scholarship, Fellowship and Grant Fund

        Sirazi Foundation is a charitable and not-for-profit organization that sponsors and funds Sirazi Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants (SSFG) to qualified individuals of Syriac Orthodox descent all over the world.

        MISSION

        The awards shall be known as the Sirazi Scholarship, Fellowship and Grant Funds (SSFG). All Applicants shall be screened and selected by the Selection Committee appointed by Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church of the Eastern United States and shall be approved by the board of directors of Sirazi Foundation. Qualified applicants will be chosen for the scholarship, fellowship and grant programs at universities, colleges, community colleges and preparatory schools in accordance with the eligibility requirements outlined in this handbook.

        PROGRAMS

        �Grants� are intended for students and families who are in need of financial assistance.

        �Scholarships� and �Fellowships� are intended for students who demonstrate outstanding academic standings.

        For more details please visit http://www.sirazi.com