The Knanaites, MJSSA and Methran Kakshi Catholicose

  • T M Chacko
    Message 1 of 3364 , Apr 4, 2005
      ?Dear all,

      It has become a nature of a ?fellow? in IOC forum to blame the Malankara Syrian Church for anything and also for nothing.

      Last day I read an odd reply from this fellow in another forum when some one asked the relevance of claiming the Knanaya Jacobite Syrian diocese under their factions? Catholicose. Instead of giving a direct answer to this straight question, our ?fellow?, in his usual style, raised other unrelated issues such as our Patriarch?s and the Church?s influence in the present city of Antioch etc. What he tried to establish through such arguments was that our Church at present has no relevance in calling our Patriarch as ?Patriarch of Antioch? as no Syrian Orthodox Christians, are living in Antioch now. So what he advises us is to change the title of our Patriarch to ?Patriarch of Damascus?. (Please do recall that this advise was when asked about the relevance in claiming the Knanaya samudayam under Methran Kakshi Catholicose in a web site)

      I feel really pity of this fellow when he makes such blunder comments again and again. I think he is forgetting that his own Church?s head, the Catholicos, is calling himself as the ?Catholicos of the East? and ?MALANKARA Metropolitan? when it is a fact that he does not have a single local follower in the former Persian hemisphere which was the real jurisdictional area of the ?Catholicose of the East? and where the Catholicate office always existed in the past. (According to a prominent section of Methran Kakshi historians, India was never part of this ?Persia? which was called ?East? in those days. They also say that Indian Church was always independent and it was never part of Antiochean or Persian Church in East and it was exclusively the Indian ?Catholicate? of St. Thomas that was recreated here in early 1900?s. If it is so there is no relevance for them to claim ?East? which was Persia in every old records !!!!! ).

      Considering this, it is better to change the title of the IOC Catholicose as ?Catholicose of the City of Kottayam? or more precisely ?Devalokam Catholicose? or simply ?Pope of Kottayam?, whichever they like, as most of its followers (95 %), numbering less than 7 lakhs (contrary to their claim of 25-30 lakhs), are inhabitants of a few places south of Kottayam. Hope they may also replace the terminology ?Malankara Metropolitan?, with ?South Kerala Metropolitan? etc. as a place called MALANKARA does not exist nowadays.

      Without implementing these changes in their Church first, it seems to be improper to advise others to change their titles. So let his Church first remove non-existent phrases attached with their Church?s head and then advise others.

      T M Chacko,
      Manarcad
      Member ID: 0903

      NB: While considering the nature of Methran Kakshi leaders I feel no wonder in seeing a web site of Methran Kakshi which claims that the Knanaya diocese is under Devalokam Catholicose. This is nothing when considering the notification issued by Methran Kakshi Catholicose some 2 years back, appointing Muvattupazha Mar Thomas Athanasius as the PRESIDENT OF THE ?MALANKRA JACOBITE SYRIAN SUNDAY SCHOOL ASSOCIATION? (MJSSA). They also at that time managed to give this news in some newspapers with the photo of Thomas Athanasius as the president of MJSSA. Methran Kakshi Catholicose has done this when there is already a Sunday school group functioning namely ?Orthodox Syrian Sunday School Association? for his followers which have a syllabus very contrary to that of the Jacobite Syrian Sunday School.

      At the same time I have never heard of a similar kalpana from this same Catholicose, of appointing some methrans for the Jacobite Syrian ?Martha Mariam Samajam? or Sathya Viswasa Samithi or Youth Association etc. Why appoint a Methran for only MJSSA ?

      The reason: MJSSA has some land, a building and a press at Puthencuriz, while the other above mentioned organizations, does not have similar properties in their names.

      Eagerness for Money, money and money - this is the main reason for conflict. Only when Methran Kakshi leaders stop this eagerness to grab wealth of others, peace will come. Last time when Methran Kakshi Catholicose filed a case in HC and later in SC for police protection to enter some Jacobite churches, he has chosen mainly the most income generating parishes. Again the ultimate aim of these so called spiritualities was to grab money and wealth of others in a short-cut way, they are not at all interested in finding a solution to heal the rivalry between the people. Or they just don?t mind about these ?silly? things which directly affects the sentiments of common man. So what is Christianity for these spiritual intellectuals? They never find any problem in Preaching one thing and acting in a opposite way. A very sad situation indeed !!! Actions such as these affect the future of Christianity in the state and it also gives way for others to penetrate. When will they realise their mistakes and come to God ?
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3364 of 3364 , May 1 5:25 AM
        Dear honorable members

        Greetings in HIS name