Subject: Re: English transliteration of Hasho Friday Prayers

  • Anil Padiyedathu
    Message 1 of 3364 , Mar 31, 2005
      Dr. Thomas Joseph,
      Could you please resend the link for the English transliteration of the Hasho Friday prayers from the Malayalam translation?
      Thank you.

      Anil Padiyedathu

      From the desk of moderators:

      As per your request we are reposting the said message below once again with the link.

      I have placed the English transliteration of the Hasho Friday prayers from
      the Malayalam translation published by late Mor Gewargis Gregorius
      (Perumpilly Thirumeni) (Mor Julius Seminary, 1995) on the link below.

      http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Hasho/GFMal20050316.pdf

      This is an early draft of work in progress. It has prayers for the canonical
      hours (except morning) and the order of the veneration of the cross. I have
      also included the Bible text for the readings from the Revised King James
      edition as well as English translations in the Veneration of the Cross from
      the Ma`de`dono (Book of Feasts) published by late Mor Athanasius Samuel
      (1984).

      I must warn that there are perhaps several errors and inconsistencies in the
      transliteration and formatting issues. I am making this available with much
      hesitation but with the fond hope that some of our faithful who cannot read
      Malayalam can at least participate in the services this upcoming Holy Friday
      (even though in no sense fully since they may still not understand the
      text). Having talked to several youth about the merits of a translation vs.
      a transliteration I have concluded that a transliteration is much more
      useful in that it enables them to join their congregation typically
      worshipping in Malayalam; a English translation is useful only if the entire
      congregation uses the translation. Of course, an accurate translation from
      Syriac is a far more tedious exercise and then setting it into poetic meter
      even more so.

      I have used a Malayalam transliteration scheme that may on first appearance
      appear complex. It is necessary to use special characters for a proper
      translation since English has no equivalent alphabets and the meaning of
      words can be vastly different if one ignores such distinctions. I hope that
      with some familiarity with hearing/speaking the language and attention to
      how native speakers pronounce the text, the transliteration scheme may
      become easier to follow. Unfortunately I could not find a standard Malayalam
      transliteration scheme; so I had to develop one which is provided at the
      beginning of the text.

      This transliteration is of course useful only if the congregation uses the
      edition published by Perumpilly Thirumeni.

      If you wish to point out any deficiencies in this work or have comments on
      the transliteration scheme, please email me directly at
      thomas_joseph@.... The work is copyrighted and I hope that people
      who use this will respect their obligations in this regard.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
      Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [
      http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
      Member ID # 0202
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3364 of 3364 , May 1 5:25 AM