Thursday of Passion - phesaho (Gregorian 24th)

  • SOCM-Moderators
    Message 1 of 3367 , Mar 19, 2005
      This service portrays Christ's washing of His disciples' feet after the Last Supper. It starts with the celebrant calling twelve deacons representing the disciples. A priest, or the highest ranking deacon, represents Simon Peter. It is worth noting that the Judas is excluded and replaced by Matthias, the disciple who was chosen to replace Judas after the resurrection of Christ (Acts 1:26).

      During the service, the celebrant washes the right feet of the 12 deacons, anointing them with oil and kissing them. Then the deacon (or priest) representing Peter, with the other eleven assisting him, washes both feet of the celebrant. If the celebrant is a bishop, he is carried on his chair when he reads the Gospels, amidst the ululation of women.

      Excerpts from the Washing of the Feet Service

      Qolo: Emo Dkhitho

      He, Whom the seraphim sanctify with fear,
      Washed today the feet of His disciples.
      Refrain: Have mercy upon us O Lord.

      He, Whom the Cherubim carry in fear,
      Bowed His head in front of His disciples.
      Refrain: Have mercy upon us O Lord.

      He, Whom the fiery hosts serve Him on the high,
      Poured water in the basin on earth.
      Refrain: Have mercy upon us O Lord.

      Audio -: http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Audio/LebThEmoDkhitho.ra

      Bocootho (Petition) of Mor Ya`qub

      How glorious was the eve
      On which our Lord ministered to His Disciples
      As they entered one by one for the washing.
      The Fire was standing, holding a basin and a cloth
      Tied around His loins.
      What a great wonder that Judas did not burn at that moment
      When our Savior offered him water for the washing.
      Halleluiah and Halleluiah.

      Audio -: http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Audio/LebThYacqub.ra

      Source: http://sor.cua.edu
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com