Devotional thoughts for bowed woman's Sunday(5th Sunday of Great Lent) 06-030-05

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 3363 , Mar 4, 2005
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Luke 13:10-17

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      We are entering the fifth week of the Holy great Lent. Our Lord was making
      use of the Sabbath to carry out his teaching mission, as we read in verse
      10. It is time for us to think how we are utilizing the time on the day
      equal to Sabbath. Kindly think whether we are eager to study about the
      experiences of the kingdom of God. On Sundays at least we must try to spend
      the maximum time with our Lord God. If so we will be noticed by our Lord
      God as He noticed the bowed woman. We should not forget the fact that the
      bowed woman had reached the presence of our Lord on her own interests. In
      verse 11 we read that she had a spirit of infirmity for the last 18 years.
      Infirmity or the equivalent word �Ostheneia� literally means, �want of
      strength� or weakness indicating inability to produce results. We read in
      Romans 8:26 �Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities �� , where
      infirmities are used for weakness. St. Paul has used the term �infirmities�
      in the same meaning in 2 Corinthians 12:5, 12:9 and 12:10. The phrase
      �spirit of infirmity� attributes her curvature directly to the satanic
      agency. The phrase is considered as an indication of the trained medical
      knowledge of the writer of the Gospel, who was a revered physician.

      In verse 12 we read, �And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said
      unto her, Woman, you are loosed from your infirmity. Likewise we all are
      having infirmities spiritually. We all are bowed. The bowed cannot look up
      and hence cannot see the faces of the people around them who are not bowed.
      Exactly this is what is happening in our spiritual lives. We are bowed and
      almost like the deaf, because we are not listening the call of our Lord. We
      go to the presence of our Lord, almost near him every Sunday. But are we
      listening his call. He is calling you and me to him. We are ignoring his
      call or pretending as if we did not hear the call. In such a condition, it
      will be very difficult for our Lord even to loosen us from our infirmities.
      We must go to him with real repentance and must cry as the prodigal son
      cried. We must admit our great mistakes of ignoring his calls until now.

      In verse 13 we read, �And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was
      made straight and glorified God�. When Lord Jesus called the bowed woman to
      him, she went to him. We are not sure whether she had a strong feeling that
      he was the real savior. Still it is to be noted that she obeyed him. From
      our birth we have heard many things about our Lord, we have experienced the
      deepness and width of his oceans of love. Still while having the spiritual
      infirmities, why we are not listening his call. Why we forget his promise?
      We have to think about it seriously. The only remedy to save our souls is to
      turn back from our paths and go near our Lord and Savior. He will receive us
      with his both open hands. He will bless us and hold us in his arms. Let us
      also attain our Lord�s blessings and let us pray with the Psalmist �Bless
      the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgets all your
      iniquities; who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from
      destruction, who crowns ou with loving kindness and tender mercies� (Psalms
      103:2-5) So also let us pray, �O Lord, truly I am your servant, I am your
      servant and son of your handmaid, you have loosed my bonds, I will offer to
      thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord�
      (Psalms 116:16-17). After the long 18 years she could stand straight. What
      did she do immediately? She glorified God for the mercy. The modern
      Christians have lost, we must say, the quality to glorify God. If we were in
      the place of the woman, what would have been our response immediately? If I
      was in her place, I would have run to the ones who might have abused me
      calling �bowed�, instead of glorifying God for His mercy and compassion.

      See a few among the crowd were not happy with the healing of the bowed
      woman. Such incidents take place in the contemporary world too. In verse 14
      we read about the ruler of the synagogue who answered with indignation. See
      similar incidents in St. John 5:15-16.When some noble things take place in
      the society, we might also think like the Jews, who found fault with the
      deeds of our savior. We should not be narrow minded at any cost. We must
      appreciate all good deeds to the poor and needy from any corner of the
      society. May God Almighty help us to make use of the prayers, fasting and
      meditation during this Lenten season for the enrichment of our spirituality.
      Let us adore Lord Jesus as our Lord, God and Savior. Let us pray earnestly
      to make use of us to share His divine love among the less fortunate ones
      across the globe.

      May God bless one and all.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      St. George Orthodox Church