Pascha and institution of Holy Eucharist - question.
- I have some doubts regarding the timing of the Last supper and 'LaHma' usage.
Here is what I know.
1) According to St. John the Holy Eucharist was established on 13th of Nissan(??), a day before Jewish Passover. According to Kaniyamaprambil achan, this is because Lord knew His time has come and decided to celebrate one day earlier.
2) But synaptic Gospels say that Lord ate Pascha on the eve of His crucifixion. That is Thursday evening. In that case it will be on 14th of Nissan.
3) 15th Nissan is Friday
4) Jesus was crucified at the normal time of killing the Passover lambs, that is, the afternoon of Nisan 14.
1) Does our church has preference for one date over other. Since we are celebrating Pascha on Wednesday and NOT Thursday, I assume that is the case.
2) Kaniyamparambil achan says this. "Since interpretations think that Lord celebrated Pescha one day earlier, the bread used on the day was 'Lahmo'. Since 'Lahma' means leavened bread how is this possible.? Because one day earlier will be 'Patheera' because it could have been leavened.
3) What is Hameera?
4) I have given a quote at the end. my question is at the end of this quote.
I tried to reconstruct the days preceding crucifixion. and here is what it looks like
13th of Nissan
WED - Morning
-->Lord ate here (John) >>WED - Evening -->Saducee THURS-start 14th Nissan
<<- Pharisee-THURS-start THUR- Morning
-->Lord ate here(Mat) THUR- Evening -- Saducee THURS-end -FRY-start
<< Phairsee-THURS END>> FRIDAY -morning
FRIDAY - evening. --> Saducee FRY ends.
<<Pharisee-FRY ends>> SAT - Morning.
Others: There are many interpretation. But one i found reasonable was that John was following official calendar ( Saducees who followed Genesis 1:5 and Exodus 12:1) while Synoptic Gospels follow the Pharisees system ( Genesis 8:22 and 1 Samuel 19:11).
And that commentator goes on to add this.
""The system of reckoning each day from sunset to sunset was followed by the Sadducees in Jerusalem. The system of reckoning used by Jesus and His disciples and described by Matthew, Mark, and Luke was (apparently) from sunrise to sunrise. John describes the events from the perspective of a sunset-to-sunset reckoning because this system enjoyed more of an official recognition.
"Indications are that this difference in systems was also a point of disagreement between the Pharisees (who reckoned a day from sunrise to sunrise) and the Sadducees (who reckoned a day from sunset to sunset)."
"The synoptic accounts therefore see Jesus as eating a Passover meal the evening before His crucifixion. For those (Pharisees) who followed the sunrise-to-sunrise reckoning, the Passover lambs had been slain a few hours earlier, in the afternoon.
For them the slaughter took place on the fourteenth of Nisan (Thursday), as did the Passover meal. ( HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE ??) The fifteenth did not begin until the next morning, Friday, at about six (sunrise).
can some one clarify? The only way i can see all this is
Lord was crucified on 15th Friday. This would be 14th for Jews as their day starts from evening to evening. Jewish Passover is Friday evening.
Lord celebrated his Passover the day before that and is on THURSADY evening.
I am totally lost here. Can some one clarify ?
- Dear honorable members
Greetings in HIS name
To keep the forum debate's authenticity, we the moderators of this forum, have decided to implement a new guideline.
As per the new guideline from 26th of October 2004, we will not publish any messages without proper signature. Your signature should contain full name, family name, home parish, present parish attending along with proper references like that of the parish priest's; name, e mail address and telephone number, where we can verify the genuineness of the e mails.
After the verification of your identity, we will provide a member ID Number which can be used as your signature for future postings and by member ID numbers we can verify your mails. However, If you want your name to be withheld from the messages published, we will comply to your request and then only the ID number will be published.
These personal contact details will be stored in our database and will not be published in the forum.
However, if you are hesitant to reveal the name and identity, you can still be a member of the forum and get the daily digests in your e-mail id supplied, if you wish so.
This new guideline is applicable to all members, regardless of their Christian denomination.
We hope our members will appreciate it and cooperate with us.
Be with us and be part of us.
In Our Lords Love
For & on behalf of
Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
St.George Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
Cheppaud, Alleppy Dist, Kerala, India.