Pascha and institution of Holy Eucharist - question.

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 3364 , Mar 2, 2005
      I have some doubts regarding the timing of the Last supper and 'LaHma' usage.

      Here is what I know.
      ====================
      1) According to St. John the Holy Eucharist was established on 13th of Nissan(??), a day before Jewish Passover. According to Kaniyamaprambil achan, this is because Lord knew His time has come and decided to celebrate one day earlier.

      2) But synaptic Gospels say that Lord ate Pascha on the eve of His crucifixion. That is Thursday evening. In that case it will be on 14th of Nissan.

      3) 15th Nissan is Friday

      4) Jesus was crucified at the normal time of killing the Passover lambs, that is, the afternoon of Nisan 14.

      Questions;
      1) Does our church has preference for one date over other. Since we are celebrating Pascha on Wednesday and NOT Thursday, I assume that is the case.

      2) Kaniyamparambil achan says this. "Since interpretations think that Lord celebrated Pescha one day earlier, the bread used on the day was 'Lahmo'. Since 'Lahma' means leavened bread how is this possible.? Because one day earlier will be 'Patheera' because it could have been leavened.

      3) What is Hameera?

      4) I have given a quote at the end. my question is at the end of this quote.

      I tried to reconstruct the days preceding crucifixion. and here is what it looks like

      13th of Nissan
      ==============
      WED - Morning
      -->Lord ate here (John) >>WED - Evening -->Saducee THURS-start 14th Nissan
      ===========
      <<- Pharisee-THURS-start THUR- Morning
      -->Lord ate here(Mat) THUR- Evening -- Saducee THURS-end -FRY-start

      15th Nissan
      ============
      << Phairsee-THURS END>> FRIDAY -morning

      -Crucifixion
      FRIDAY - evening. --> Saducee FRY ends.

      16th Nissan
      <<Pharisee-FRY ends>> SAT - Morning.

      Others: There are many interpretation. But one i found reasonable was that John was following official calendar ( Saducees who followed Genesis 1:5 and Exodus 12:1) while Synoptic Gospels follow the Pharisees system ( Genesis 8:22 and 1 Samuel 19:11).

      And that commentator goes on to add this.

      ""The system of reckoning each day from sunset to sunset was followed by the Sadducees in Jerusalem. The system of reckoning used by Jesus and His disciples and described by Matthew, Mark, and Luke was (apparently) from sunrise to sunrise. John describes the events from the perspective of a sunset-to-sunset reckoning because this system enjoyed more of an official recognition.

      "Indications are that this difference in systems was also a point of disagreement between the Pharisees (who reckoned a day from sunrise to sunrise) and the Sadducees (who reckoned a day from sunset to sunset)."

      "The synoptic accounts therefore see Jesus as eating a Passover meal the evening before His crucifixion. For those (Pharisees) who followed the sunrise-to-sunrise reckoning, the Passover lambs had been slain a few hours earlier, in the afternoon.

      For them the slaughter took place on the fourteenth of Nisan (Thursday), as did the Passover meal. ( HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE ??) The fifteenth did not begin until the next morning, Friday, at about six (sunrise).

      can some one clarify? The only way i can see all this is

      Lord was crucified on 15th Friday. This would be 14th for Jews as their day starts from evening to evening. Jewish Passover is Friday evening.

      Lord celebrated his Passover the day before that and is on THURSADY evening.

      I am totally lost here. Can some one clarify ?

      regards

      Paul Reji
      Member# 0901
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com