News from Botswana

  • Oommen Thomas
    Message 1 of 3364 , Feb 7, 2005
      News from Botswana

      Rev.Musonda Trevor Selwyn Mwamba was consecrated as the fourth Bishop of Botswana Dioces(anglican) yesterday 6th Feb. He was being eleveted to the vacancy of Bishop Theophilus Naledi who has retired recently. Political luminaries of the country including the President Botswana and the past president were among the hundreds who made the consecration service a celebration.

      The Anglican Church (The dioces of Botswana in the Arch dioces of Central and Southern Africa) and the Catholic church are the most organised and important churches in Botswana. There are innumerable other protestant denominations-Baptist, Methodist, Dutch reformed etc- and other 'charismatic' groups.There is even an Orthodox Church here, but seemingly they have nothing to do with Eastern / Oriental Orthodox, just a name for another protestant group! However only about 15 to 20 % of the population are Christians, rest of them have no religion other than their tradition, witchcraft etc.But, Botswana is one of the richest and most well governed democratic countries in Africa. Bishop Mwamba is an unique personality.His Sunday sermons are some of the finest I have ever heard in my life. They are calm, inspiring and full of light,wit and wisdom.

      Well educated, widely read and up to date, he while being a priest,was holding the posts of head of public relations department of Stanchart Bank, readers may be surprised. He might reliquish(or have already done so?) that post for the new responsibility.He is open in his respect for Catholic Church irrespective of their theological and historical differnces) and other sister Churches. Under his leadership, this Anglican dioces expect great spiritual awakening.

      Blessed are peacemakers, they shall be called sons of God.

      Oommen Thomas
      Member id # 0994
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3364 of 3364 , May 1 5:25 AM