Bad impacts of Imitating the sectarian denominations by Orthodox Church Members

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 3364 , Feb 4, 2005
      From the middle of the last century, the Orthodox Church in India, whether it is SOC or IOC, the Church as a whole is suffering from the unpleasant impact of members� imitation of practices in other denominations without analyzing why our Church does not encourage it. We are least bothered to learn the teachings of the Holy Church or to uphold the teachings of our forefathers and we could put forth long lists to support our arguments.

      When I replied the responses of my posting �Wearing of Pottu by our ladies and girls� one of the beloved active members of the forum remarked, �I read the reply by Mr. Kurian regarding "pottu". But I am not sure I am convinced 100%. The fact is why do Catholics have not banned it? Why are they not raising these arguments�

      Can we say that the rituals and the traditions of both Churches are the same? Even other wise why we should look for what is going on there?

      Again he is telling. �Our church sometimes goes to extreme for interpretation. This was the problem with Pharisees during the time of Lord. Are we like them in interpreting out of our sheer commitment to church and Lord's teaching�.

      I am writing this posting not to argue with the beloved brother whom I am quoting here. I am not trying to claim any personal greatness. But I feel that the spirit of God is compelling me to say. By looking into the interpretation we will not be like the Pharisees. They were considering themselves as pious and they were zealous of their religion. For the last 50-60 years we have lost our own identity. We are not sure of our own rituals and traditions. I am not at all trying to question anyone or to find fault with the leadership. How many of our people are sure about the meaning of the sign of cross? Conveniently we forgot what we had studied. Many of the elders of the present generation got the training to go to Church and to attend the sacraments from our grand parents. Now grand parents cannot teach their grand children, as grand children are away from grand parents. From where our younger generation would learn? Parents must take more responsibility. We will have to ignore all interpretations without the approval of the Church leadership.

      Again my beloved brother has written about "blessing cross " on Good Friday. (I am not saying anything is wrong here) . Since cross was discovered on 4th century, it could not have been a part of apostolic service.(cross is the symbol of Lord's second coming)�

      I think he is referring to the veneration of the Holy Cross on Good Friday. I am sure that he could not justify the deed and faith of the church since years together due to the influence of the false teachings of other sectarian denominations. When we venerate the Cross on Good Friday, we are not venerating the cross prepared by a human being, but we are venerating our Lord Jesus who died on the cross for us. Whenever we see a cross, we do see our Lord Jesus who sought us freedom from the slavery of sins and bondage of Satan. On the throne (Thronos) we keep a cross in the center and it represents Christ who resurrected from the dead. Whenever we utter the name of H. triune God we make the sign of cross. Signing of the cross starts from the forehead, the place where we are sealed in the name of the Holy Trinity. It is the junction through which a faithful could accept blessings. That is why I am insisting the teaching of the Holy church not to hide the forehead with pottu or so.

      He has concluded his posting by saying: �I really wished we preserved everything they did. I understand is "church is the truth ( 1 Tim 3:14). And so I accept what ever Church teach.�

      Let us all make sure what our Church has to tell us. Let us learn the teachings of our fathers. Let us live like real orthodox faithful, having the fruits of the Holy spirit.

      May God bless us all.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      St. George Orthodox Church
      Abu Dhabi