Re: Weaaring of Bindi (Pottu) by our girls and ladies.

  • SOCM Member
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2005
      Dear Sirs,

      My details .......................................(I prefer my identity to be kept secret, if you decide to publish this response)

      The discussion on wearing bindi(Pottu)seems to me to be overstretched.I am a man of 62 years.I am reminded of a time when wearing 'Saree' was considered unchristian.Those days Nazrani women were supposed to wear white 'Chatta' and 'Pudava' etc. Getting exinct are those 'species' of Ammachies among us now!.Then it was 'Churidar'.And now stretch pants and tops! As much as my poor understanding goes,nothing is bad in itself according to Sleeho Mor Paulose .Not even idols.It is the intention or the way one use them, or the possible effect that it will make on others that may cause a problem. Women decorating themselves also can be viewed in a similar manner. Bindi and eyelean used to offend Nazrani elders. Cant they be considered cultural matters.?

      Just for a smile- One of the characters in Vaikom Muhammed Basheer's famous novel 'Ntuppuppak Oru Aanendarnu', says "Muslim should do against kafir ('maaru kanikkanam').When kafir tie cloth (Mundu) to the right Muslim should do it to the left. When Kafir shave his beard and grow hair on his head, muslim should shave his head and grow beard etc"

      Lord be with us.

      Member Id # 0994
      From the Desk of Moderator:
      Name withheld as the request of the Author