Interpretation of the Holy Bible - St. Matthew : Chapter 6 - lesson 37

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2005
      6:10; Your kingdom come"
      1. Kingdom of God was the first preaching of Jesus in His
      public ministry (Mark 1:14;).
      2. His purpose was to speak about the kingdom of God. "I was
      sent for this purpose."(Luke 4:43)
      3. He did that always. ("Jesus traveled about from one town and
      village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of
      God". (Luke 8:1)
      4. "The kingdom of God is already within you" (Luke 8:11) and
      will come in full as taught in this prayer.
      We should understand that God's kingdom is a fellowship of people
      who does God's will just like in heaven. So it is God's authority.
      When we pray "Your kingdom come" we should submit to God in full.
      The Jewish thoughts about the kingdom of Heaven
      1. The Messiah would revive them from their political slavery.
      And He would come from David's tribe. He would establish His
      kingdom and rule not only Israelites but also gentiles too. But for
      a long time they were ruled by Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians,
      Greeks and Romans. But still they hoped for Messiah as seen in
      Isaiah (11:1, 23:5, 30:9, 2:2, 3; 4-11, 60:12-45, Amos 9:13,14
      Isaiah 32:15, 51:3)
      2. In the NT, the word `Kingdom of God' is used to describe
      heaven and about the church, which accepts Christ as the king. The
      membership in the Christ of Christ will make them eligible for
      salvation. "And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be
      saved " ( Acts 2:47)
      3. When we pray "Thy kingdom come."
      a. One accepts Christ as King
      b. We should have a thinking that we should accept His
      commandments and do His will
      c. We should wish for a society of just, truth, mercy, holiness
      and love. We should also wish that whole world be ruled by Christ
      and an introspection as to what I should to materialize this.
      d. Any sacrifice for the establishment of Kingdom of God will
      be rewarded on earth and in the heaven. (Our Lord told this to the
      disciples)
      e. If God rules our lives then Kingdom of God is established in
      our lives. Its effect is gracious. We may have sufferings and
      loses but would gain great happiness. (Remember the parable of
      treasure buried in the field (Mat 13:44 and merchant searching for
      pearls (Mat 13:45-46)
      f. The whole world is ruled by Devil (John 12:31; 14:30;
      16:11) and we are in a struggle `against the spiritual forces of
      evil in the heavenly realms' (Eph 6:12). But Lord will end it
      successfully. (1 Cori 15:24,25; Mat 13:33)
      g. Our Lord compared Kingdom of God to "leaven ".(Matthew
      13:33). So as a " Christian yeast "" one has to a "leaven"(yeast) "
      the whole world. Also the parable of mustard seed (Mat 13: 21-30)
      is also thought provocative . If God's will is sowed on someone,
      it really grows very well. Eg: The apostles
      h. End of anyone who is not good for the Kingdom of God, is
      described with help of parable of the weed (Mat 13:24) and fishing
      net (Mat 13:49-50).
      i. For God's kingdom to come, our repentance is necessary. "The
      kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news" (Mark
      1:15). Faith is also like this. "Whoever does not receive the
      kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it". (Mark 10:15)
      j. Our principle is a world that has no wickedness. For God's
      kingdom filled with truth, justice, love, peace, and satisfaction.
      So we have to try to have Kingdom of God on us and grow it too.
      "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven"
      God's will is done on heaven by angels faithfully, unquestioned.
      They are good model for us.
      So what do they do ?
      They worship God and Christ (Heb 1:9; Phili 2:9-11) and announce
      God's will to humans (Matthew 2:13:20 Luke 1:19-28; Acts 5:19,20;
      8:26, 10:5; 27:23) and perform God's intentions (Mat 13:41; 28:2;
      John 5:4). They praise God (Luke 2:13,14 Rev 5:11; 7:11,12) and
      rejoice in our repentance (Luke 15:7,10) and preserves the children
      of God (Psalm 34:7, 91:11,12; Mat 18:10,11).
      So just like the angels, we should praise God, obey God and fulfill
      the Will of God and we should try for the repentance of others too.
      Then we are carrying out the Will of God. From the true
      interpretations of the H. Bible, God's Will is revealed to us. Our
      Lord's Prayer "not as I will, but as you will" (Mat 26:39) should be
      a guide for us. When we carry out our will instead of God's is the
      sin (eg: Adam's sin). Our Lord was emphatic that knowing God's will
      and not carrying out it was punishable. Our Lord said, "My food, is
      to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work" (John
      4:34). Lord should be our model.
      So far the Lord's Prayer dealt with God's will. Now the prayer
      focuses on our bodily needs. People who pray for material
      prosperity should remember the order (First God and then our bodily
      needs)
      In the first part of the Lord's Prayer the focused our duties to the
      God like worship of the God, carry out the Will of the Lord etc.
      But in this part deals with care God gives to His children,
      absolving of the sins and protection etc. These prayers are not our
      selfish needs. But it is cause by which God's name be glorified on
      us.

      Interpretation of the Holy Bible - St. Matthew : Chapter 6 - lesson
      38

      Verse 6:11; "Give us this day our daily bread"
      1. This makes it clear, our dependence on God because God knows
      all our needs
      2. People who do not pray Lord's Prayer also gets the food. So
      this not merely a prayer for food alone. But it is prayer, which
      shows our responsibilities and dependence to our Lord as children of
      God.
      3. This is more clearer from the fact, even millionaires and
      kings also pray this prayer.
      4. It was our Lord Himself who commanded not to worry about
      anything and "your heavenly Father knows that you need" (Matthew
      6:32). Same Lord also asked us to pray "Give us this day our daily
      bread". This is to convey a message that we cannot live with out the
      gifts from God. Every fruits that we enjoy in our life are gift
      from our Lord. All our abilities are gift from our God. We should
      always live with this awareness about that nothing is because of our
      abilities.
      5. Always remember that our cloths, food etc is a gift what we
      received from our Lord. So used it wisely and carefully. Also make a
      decision not to get them in any ungodly way.
      6. Always give thanks to our Lord before and after the food.
      Our Lord showed that He cares for the needs of his people. Eg He
      ordered to give food to thousands of people who listened to him
      continuously. (John 6:1-14)
      The word in the prayer "Today" is very important too. It shows our
      dependence every day. Also trust in the God, who gave food today-
      to give us food tomorrow also and not to worry about tomorrow.
      Remember the God who gave Manna to Israelites every day.( Exodus 16:
      14-36)
      The prayer also uses the word "Our" and not "my" daily bread.
      1. It shows our status as the children of God and we all belong
      to same family
      2. We should share with others. If we share with others the
      whole poverty of the world will go away.
      [ More Reading : " giving " in the Holy Bible :
      http://www.generousgiving.org/page.asp?sec=9&page=172]
      From the Desk of the Moderators

      This is based on the interpretation of Kaniyamparmabil achan. We withheld
      the name of the member who posts this message as per his request.