Interpretation of the Holy Bible - St. Matthew : Chapter 6 - lesson 33

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2005
      Matthew 6:3 "Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is
      doing"

      This means that one who gave should not know who he gave to and one
      who received do not know from whom he received. That means unselfish
      service. Our Lord is a model for this. After healing the leper our
      Lord told him "you don't tell anyone" (Mat 8:4).

      Teaching about prayer . ( 5-15)
      This section included teaching about prayer and Lord give us
      the `Lord's prayer'

      Prayer
      1. Should be to the
      a. Father (Psalm 5:2; Mat 4:10; 6:6-9; ),
      b. the Son (Luke 23:42, John 14:14; 1 Cori 1:2 ( comp Psalm
      116:4); Acts 7:59),
      c. to the H. Spirit (2 Tess 3:5 ) [ Please see the note
      below ]
      2. Should be in Christ's name (Eph 2:18)
      3. God will answer the prayer (Psalm 99:6, Isaiah 58:9;
      Jeremiah 33: 3)
      4. Ask in Christ's name will be received (John 14:13,14; 15:16;
      16:23)
      5. Prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective (James
      5:16)
      6. We have to pray with
      a. With a sincere heart in full assurance of faith (Heb 10:22),
      b. Worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:22-
      24; 1 Cory 14:15)
      c. With not from deceitful lips (Psalm 17:1)
      d. With hope that prayer will be answered (Psalms 27:7; 102:2;
      108:6; 143:1)
      e. In day and night (1 Titus 5:5)
      f. Pray continually (1 Tess 5:17)
      g. Everywhere and anywhere ( 1 Time 2:8)
      h. Prayer should be in every thing (Philippians 4:6)
      i. Should do in secret with and with out babbling (Mat 6:5,7)
      j. In repentance (Isaiah 36:7???; Isaiah 55:6-7)
      k. In humility (Genesis 18:27)
      l. Pray with an attitude of deep love and respect for God (Ezra
      8:21)
      m. With fasting (Nehemiah 1:4, Daniel 9:3, Acts 13; 3)
      n. Pray with thanks giving (Philippians 4:6; Colo 4:2)
      o. Share your sorrows and joys with God (James 5.13)
      p. Pray for wisdom and discernment (Jam 1.5 (see also 1 Kings
      3.5-14))
      q. Pray for all your needs (Philip 4.6-7; Matt. 7: 7; 1 Tim. 2:
      1))
      r. Ask according to His will (1 John 5: 14)
      7. Family/group prayer is answered (Matthew 18:19, Jeremiah
      10:25)
      8. Public prayers will be heard (2 Chronicles 7:14,16), and
      blessed (Exodus 20:24; beseech each other (Hebrew 10:25)
      9. Prayer of intercession:
      a. For kings and rulers (1 Tim 2; 2)
      b. For servants of Christ Jesus (2 Cory 1:11, phalli 1:19)
      c. For the church (Psalms 122:6, Isaiah 62:6,7)
      d. For all the saints (Ephe 6:18)
      e. For all the people (1 Tim 5:14)
      f. Pray for spiritual and physical healing for yourself and
      others (James 5.16b)
      g. For sick people (James 5:14)
      h. For those who persecute you (Matt 5:44)
      i. Who desert us (2 Tim 4; 16)
      j. Pray for your enemies ( Mat 5:44)
      10. The praying alone: Our Lord prayed alone and it is a model
      for us (Mat 6:6; 14:23; 26:36; Mark 1:35; Luke 9:18, 29)

      [
      Note : 2: Thessalonians 3:5 : "And may our Lord direct your hearts
      to the love of God".

      The Holy Spirit is the Love of God the Father for the Son, and the
      Love of the Son for the Father, so the reference to the love of God
      could be a reference to the Holy Spirit. Also, please see the other
      verses below.

      Romans 15:30
      "I urge you, (brothers,) by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of
      the Spirit, to join me in the struggle by your prayers to God on my
      behalf …"

      Ephesians 6:18
      "With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the
      Spirit. To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and
      supplication for all the holy ones …"

      Romans 8:26
      "In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness;
      for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself
      intercedes with inexpressible groanings."

      Jude 20
      "But you, beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray
      in the holy Spirit."

      [Additional reading about prayer ]
      http://www.carm.org/questions/pray_to.htm
      http://www.biblebell.org/chrislife/prayer.html
      http://mycopticchurch.com/articles/read.asp?
      f==spiritual/FBKIsaiahLent.html

      http://www.behindthebadge.net/articles/a99.html
      http://www.biblestudylessons.com/cgi-bin/gospel_way/repentance.php
      http://www.biblehelp.org/resist.htm
      ]

      The answer for the prayer:
      1. Sometimes quick (Isaiah 65:24; Dani 9:21,23; 10:12)
      2. Sometimes slow (Luke 18:7)
      3. Sometimes against our wish (2 Cori 12:8,9)
      4. Sometimes more than we wish for (Ephe 3; 20)
      W ho is answered?
      1. To who seek God whole heartedly (Psalm 34:4; )
      2. For those who pray with belief (Mat 21:22; James 5; 15; Heb.
      11: 6; Matt. 17: 20))
      3. Who pray in the name or Jesus Christ (John 14:13)
      4. For those who obey the commandments (1 John 3; 22; 5:14)
      5. For those who live in Christ (John 15:7)

      Who is not answered?
      1. Who pray wrong motives (James 4:3)
      2. Who pray in doubt (James 1:6,7)
      3. Who has iniquity in my heart (Palm 66:18)
      4. Who live in sin (John 9:31; Psalm 66: 18; 2 Chronicles 7:
      14; Isaiah 59:2:)
      5. Who is proud (Luke 18:11,12,14)
      6. Pray with out concentration (Isaiah 26:20; 2 Kings 4; 3).
      These versus literally say pray in seclusion. That close the door
      to our heart and pray.
      7. If you babble like pagans. Many people think that one may
      get more out of a prayer if he repeats the same prayers 1000's of
      times. Without concentration any prayer is a babbling. Even the
      length of the prayer and repeating of same prayer –if the focus is
      on it, rather than concentration of the prayer then it is babbling.
      This is based on the interpretation of Kaniyamparmabil achan. We
      withheld the name of the member who posts this message as per his request.