Re: Mor Nicholovos.doc

  • DANIEL BABU PAUL
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2002
      without commenting on the views and judgmental comments one way or the other
      I wish to suggest that the SC orders may please be read carefully. there are
      too many obvious factual errors in this open letter which the author can
      himself correct after carefully reading the SC orders.
      TOTUS TUUS MARIA

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2002

        Online edition of India's National Newspaper
        Thursday, Mar 21, 2002

        http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2002/03/21/stories/2002032109180300.htm

        Puthencruz meet reaffirms allegiance to Patriarch

        By Our Staff Reporter

        KOCHI, MARCH 20. A convention of Christians held at Puthencruz in Ernakulam today formalised the separation of the warring factions of the Malakara Orthodox Syrian Church. Hundreds of `faithful' reiterated their allegiance to the Patriarch of Antioch and shunned the Catholicos group for holding a convention at Parumala.

        The meeting of the clergy and laity, surcharged by emotional outbursts and sloganeering, adopted a declaration which affirmed faith in the Patriarch of Antioch and called upon the followers to be ready to lay down their lives to protect their faith. The followers joined their hands together in a symbolic gesture of unity. The clergymen announced that the Puthencruz convention would be the second oath of allegiance after the historic Koonan Kurissu held in 1653. The convention also warned against any move either by the Catholicos faction or police to take possession of Church properties. The announcement made on the dais on the preparedness for peaceful negotiations to settle the long-drawn dispute between the factions was no match to the general tone which assumed militant overtones at times.

        The temporary pandal which could accommodate a few thousands was overcrowded and many waited outside under the hot sun to affirm their faith. ``This is an emergency and the faithful will have to suffer,'' the clergymen told the audience. Referring to the Parumala meet being convened by the Catholicos faction, Benyamin Joseph Mar Osthathios said, ``Civil courts have no jurisdiction over religious matters.'' After the country gained Independence, freedom of religion was guaranteed, none can impose their religious faith on others, he said. `Protection units' were being formed in parishes to safeguard their interests, he said.

        Marcos Mar Coorilos, who made the presidential address, asked the followers not to let the priests of the rival faction to enter the churches of the Patriarchal group. ``We should not enter their churches too,'' he told them.

        The Catholicos-designate, Thomas Mar Dionisious, said the move for a peaceful settlement had been thwarted by the rival faction. There was no reply to the suggestion to withdraw the cases and reopen the churches, he said. The suggestion for an impartial judging committee outside the court was also not considered, he pointed out. ``Their aim is to wrest control of the churches at Manarcaud, Kothamangalam and other places,'' he said. The Government should be impartial in these matters, but in the recent issue involving Kaniattukara church, the Government's action in transferring the RDO was raising doubts, he said. While the rival faction wants to adhere to the constitution, the voters' list prepared for the Parumala convention was violative of the clauses of the constitution, he said. The constitution was framed only in 1934, but the contentious issues are much older, he pointed out.

        The faith declaration was read out by Yoohanon Mar Phelixinos

      • Humble Servant of Christ
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2002
          Read St.matthew 10:24 from Bible

          =====