SABHA CHARITHRAM PART 5

  • Dipu George
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2004
      THE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH IN INDIA AND ITS APOSTOLIC FAITH

      The first Catholicose passed away in 1913 and the seat was vacant till 1926. On 17 Medom 1926 Mor Philoxenos (Karuchira) was consecrated as the second Catholicos. The next day after his consecration he consecrated Fr P T Geevarghese as Mor Ivanios. After three years he also passed away.

      On 2 Kumbhom 1929, the third Catholicos was consecrated in the Metrans Patry with the title Mar Baselios Geevarghese II, the celebrants being Mar Geevarghese Dionysius (Vattasseril) and Mor Ivanios of Bethany. During Vattasseril Dionysius' time the rank of the Catholicos was only `ad honorem' for in his deposition. Mar Dionysius stated " the present Catholicos in Malankara is inferior to me in administration and superior in his position as Catholicos!- words, revealing his unwillingness to be subordinate or second to anyone- whether Catholicos or Patriarch. Z M Paret quotes Mor (Vattasseril) Dionysius' words that `the Catholicos aspires authority over the metrans that could never be conceded, and any such action, would make all these law suits futile'. Within a short period of barely one year all these quarrels sprouted up. Paret consoles ` the situation was overcome by the personality of Mor Dionysius and the Catholicos' obligation to him � being his student'.
      Source: Mal. Nazranikal 779-80.
      Page168: The unhappy developments so far testify Vattasseril Dionysius' temperament always had been" I am the Monarch of all I survey- There is none to dispute my right!!.

      contd.... Part 6
      Source:-
      Church History written by Most Rev Malankara Malpan Dr Kanyamparambil Achen.

      Posted by
      Dipu George
      St George Simhasana Church, Tiruvalla
      Member ID # 0174