Holy Authorities - part 2.

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2004
      (contd from yesterday)
      So what should be the basis or our response to church authorities ?

      Let us see what Apostle Paul has written to his disciple Timothy.

      " Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the
      sins of others. Keep yourself pure" ( 1 Timothy 5:22).

      Even Roman catholic church - who teaches infalliability of
      Pope - do not teach this in regard to personal life of Pope. For
      that matter do dont even teach that all Popes are pious or lead a
      holy life. Like any other ordinary believer, even Pope is obliged
      to confess his sins in obedience to Holy Spirit.

      The explanation of that church regarding the infalliablity of Pope
      is this. Pope is the spiritual supreme head of the church and he
      acts in the issues of faith, in accordance with the wish of Holy
      Spirit, he cannot be faultless. That is infalliability of the Pope.

      Even though this is the case, Popes starting from John 23 on words
      has confessed to the faults the the church have done all over the
      world ( over a period of time) and tried thier best to be in harmony
      with ( to be in communion with) other churches and worked for it.
      This is a good model for all Christian churches.

      Mar Paul and Mar Peter were comrades. But apostle Paul did not
      justify the the faults of St. Paul but kept his conscience to Lord
      Jesus Christ. Things refered in Galatians 2:11-21 is in no way
      affects the faith of the church. ( **please see the note below )
      Because this is only a personal incidence in the life of Apostle
      Paul. Apostle Paul never questioned the authority that Lord gave
      to Apostle Peter ( which is described in Matthew 16:16-19; John
      21:15-19- quotes at the end ) . On the contarary it is important to
      note that Apostle Paul always lived in obediance to Apostle Peter.
      This can be seen in 2 Peter 3:15-18.

      ( contd )

      ** Note: Here the author is making an assumption that Cephas
      mentioned here is Apostle Peter itself. But there is another
      scholarly opinion that this Cephas mentioned in Gal 2:11-21 is
      totaly differance person Cephas who happened to share the name with
      St. Peter. You can read that here
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCM-FORUM/message/5302

      Quotes
      ------

      Mat ( 16:16-19)
      "Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living
      God."
      17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was
      not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell
      you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and
      the gates of Hades will not overcome it.I will give you the keys of
      the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in
      heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

      John 21;15-19
      "15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon
      son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
      "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
      Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
      16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
      He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
      Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
      17The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love
      me?"
      Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love
      me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
      18
      Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were
      younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you
      are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress
      you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19Jesus said this to
      indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he
      said to him, "Follow me!"

      Paul Philipose
      St. Ignatious Syrian Orthodox Chruch
      Dallas