Holy Authorities - part 1
- "1. Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
2. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves" ( Romans 13:1-2)
Unfortunately, these days, it has become a norm in the world to rebel against authorities in both spiritual and material society whether there is a reason or not. Both the administrators and ones who are being administered are all guilty in this matter.
If the administrators, administer in fear of God, with justice and in this conscience, then these rebellions will be much less. But whenever the administrators are no like that ( ie with no justice )the public rebels mushroom always and everywhere.
Church fathers or Holy Bible nowhere teach that we should follow authorities blindly. On the contaray even Apostle Paul teaches that one should obey even thier parents in accordance with the commandments of Lord.
(1) Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2
(2) HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER (which is the first commandment with a promise),
3 SO THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH YOU, AND THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG ON
4 (3) Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but (4)
bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
When someone works against the commandments of Lord- whether it is administrators or anyone else - then a faithful being loayal to his true conscience is his duty.
This is how the church received the ten of thousands of blessed martyrs.
What should be the basis of our response to holy authorities of the church? It is a very significant issue.
- That we will discuss tomorrow ( contd )
Author : Dn. Joseph Malekurize Dayara.
Taken from Sunday Vision
St. Ignatious Syrian Orthodox Chruch
Member ID # 0901