Re: A Question

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2004
      Dear Basil,

      I am not a theologian. But the best way I can answer your question below is to refer you to the Gospel of Luke Chapter 18, Verses 18-27.

      A man came to Jesus and asked HIM, "What shall I do to inherit eternal life (to be saved) ?".

      Jesus answered, "You know the commandments: Do not commit adultery, Do not Kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother". In short Jesus told this man, Do good works.

      The man answered, I am already doing these good works.

      Jesus told him: "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

      In short Jesus is telling this man and all of us, nobody is perfect. Everyone lacks one thing or the other. In this mans case it was his attachment to worldly riches, in my case it may be something else. All of us lacks in something. We cannot inherit the kingdom of God (be saved) if we lack in something. To inherit the kingdom of God, we have to be sinless like our Heavenly Father. It is natural for one to ask; How is it possible? How can I be sinless? If this is the case who is going to get saved? Read the Gospel further..

      Jesus continues and says: "How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

      Those who heard it said: "Then who can be saved?"

      To this Jesus said" "What is impossible with men is possible with God".

      Dear Brother Basil. It is impossible for us men to be perfect with our good works alone. We all lack in something. But what is impossible for us is possible for God. God in his great mercy has instituted the Holy Sacraments, (Baptism, Confession and Communion) through which our imperfectness, our lacking is washed away and we are wrapped in the robe of incorruption.

      So in short, good deeds are essential. But we cannot get saved through our good deeds alone. To be saved, we need Jesus.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      Member ID # 0929

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Basil Kalapuryakal wrote:

      > Do you believe one has to believe in Chirst to be saved or can it
      be done soley through good works?