Did We Do It all for the Glory of God? by Joseph Y. Lee

  • Joseph Yosuk Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2004
      Did We Do It all for the Glory of God?
      July 30, 1996 - August 13, 1996
      by Joseph Yosuk Lee

      Before I went to missions for Mexico, I bought two Steven Curtis Chapman CDs at a bargain. I was very pleased with the purchase. Two days later, I left Irvine heading toward Mexico for missions, where I lived with my host family for the whole week. They were extremely poor, but they were considered to be average in Mexico. There were no bathrooms, but they had some running water and electricity. I could not believe that Isaiah, Moses, and Ruth were happy even though they only had one toy each. I really did not like the food I was served, but I forced myself to eat the food in order not to offend my host family. We mainly ate beans, which were their only source of protein for muscles. They rarely ate beef, fish, chicken, and eggs. Even though their beans were terrible, I tried to be polite by saying gracias,which is thank you. Nevertheless, I admired them for being able to find happiness even in
      horrible living conditions.

      Out of my interest in trying to find out how they managed to feed themselves. I asked how much a four month supply of beans cost. Alberta, the father of the host family, said it costs about $30, which equals the cost of 2 Steven Curtis Chapman CDs. They eat beans every day first just to survive while my mom spends about $30 a month drenching myself with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi. I wondered whether or not I was glorifying God as I recalled one of my favorite quotes in the Bible.

      So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

      So, was I glorifying God when I bought two Steven Chapman Curtis CDs? I felt very selfish that I purchased those CD’s when I could have used the same amount of money today my host family a four month supply of beans. Sometimes,I feel that I am no different from the rich young man in Matthew 19:16-24. If we do such things as buying a CD player or a $250,000 condo, are we sinning? Are we really saved? Well, we can find that answer in the Bible.

      For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is a gift of God-not by works, so that no one should boast. Ephesians 2:8,9

      Well, that answers the question whether or not we are saved. How can we not sin when we buy a condo or CD player? The answer is that we give thanks through our prayer.

      pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:17,18

      In Christ,
      Joseph Yosuk Lee
      8th Grade Sunday School Teacher
      Cerritos Presbyterian Church at Artesia, California
      Member ID # 0944