Suriyani Sabha

  • roymathews
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2002
      Dear Moderator,

      There had been mention about the recent change in the Engish name of
      our Church in these columns. This change is very appropriate in view
      of the recent campaigns by certain print media in Malayalam who used
      to highligt in the news items that the Patriarch of Antioch is the
      supreme head of the orthodox church in "Syria" alone whereas in fact
      he is the supreme head of the orthodox people all over the world
      whose main language of liturgy is Syriac ( "Suriyani").This includes
      our Malankara church also

      The reasons for the change in name in English is given in the
      extracts from the synod proceedings below ( Syriac orthodox resources
      website)

      "The Archbishops of the United States, Mor Clemis Eugene Kaplan and
      Mor Cyril Aphram Karim, requested that the Church be called "Syriac
      Orthodox Church" in English. The recommendation was motivated by the
      current realities in English-speaking countries where the
      term "Syrian" is widely recognized as referring to the nation of
      Syria. While noting the historical antecedents for the use of the
      term "Syrian Orthodox Church" (Syr. `idto suryoyto treeysath shubho),
      the Synod approved the recommendation and declared that the Church
      should be called the "Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch" in English.
      This name will be adopted gradually by the Church. (ed. The names of
      the Church in other languages were not considered by the Holy Synod)."

      In my opinion, our church should be called "Suriyani Orthodox Sabha"
      in malayalam.
      I shall be grateful if some learned members in this forum can
      enlighten me further on this.
      Thanking you

      Sincerely,
      Roymathews