Lost Sheep

  • Chev. Dr. Mathews Abraham
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2004
      Dear Friends,

      According to today's media report The Managing Committee of The Jacobite Syrian Christian Church has welcomed those clergy and the laity who want to come back to the mother church. To me and many of my friends, this is a good decision, as there are many of our faithful who attend the methran kakshy parishes in the Gulf. Some of them have joined the methran kakshy parishes for monetary advantages even though when they go to India they attend our parishes. They still need our clergy to bury their dear ones in Malankara.

      Now, since our church leadership has kept an open mind to allow them to come back, we must encourage them to do so in the true Christian spirit, but with caution. In 1958, when our Bawa H.H.Yacoob III of blessed memory welcomed the methran kakshy to the mother church, they were on the verge of extinction. Many of their faithful in the southern dioceses had joined protestant groups and charismatic (Pentecost) groups. There were a number of their Bishops who joined the Roman Catholic Church and formed the Syro-Malankara rite. There, Our Bawa acted as a true shepherd and welcomed the lost sheep to the mother church. Time only showed that he was cheated by the methran kakshy. We must make sure that this will not happen again.

      After the triumphant apostolic visit of our Patriarch to Malankara which was celebrated by the whole of Malayalees, the methran kakshy have been expelled from the mother church. Now they have no claim to apostolicity and their sacraments are not valid. Many people who had been misinformed will try to come back to the mother church. But we must take all possible precautions.

      Best Regards

      Chev. Dr. Mathews Abraham
      Sr. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Church, Sharjah
      St.John, the Baptist Attamangalam Church, Kumarakom