Bible Study : Matthew chapter 3: Lesson 19

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1039 , Sep 9, 2004
      Bible Study : Matthew chapter 3: Lesson 19

      Verse Matthew 3: 16 "haven opened "

      The disobedience of God's command by Adam caused the Heaven to be closed for him. Now it has been opened. It also shows that the curse "My Spirit shall not strive [ with man forever"(Gen 6:3) has been taken away by the `coming down of the Holly Spirit'.

      Abut which St. Augustisnos says `His mother gave birth of a Son. Still she remained as a virgin. Water washed Jesus Christ. Thus it was consecrated. Holy Spirit who appeared to Him in the pregrancy, who lightens the water around Him. Hw who consecrated St. Mary now consecrates the water. . Heaven opens for one who is born again of baptism. Like that, all receives the gift of Spirit through baptism.

      "Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him"

      some signs of Holly Spirits are
      ==================================
      1) Fire :- (Mathew 3; 11) purges (Isaiah 4:3), glows (Psalm 78:14), Sprit searches every thing. (1 Cory 2:10).
      2) Oil :- comforts (Hebrews 1:9), lights (Mathew 25:3,4; 1 John 2:20,27)
      3) Dove (Mathew 3:16); gentle (Mathew 3:16; Galatians 5:22
      4) Wind ( John 3;28; Acts 2:2)
      5) Voice (Isaiah 6:8) talks (Mathew 10:20), guides (John (16:13), warns (Hebrew 3:7-11)
      6) Divided tongues (Acts 2:3,6,11)
      7) Rain : ( Hebrews 1:9; 1 John 2:20 )

      Hilarious: `Because of the washing of water H. Spirit descends on us too. The anointment of Heavenly Glory flows on it. We are accepted as sons of God.

      St. Jerome: The mystery of Holy Trinity is revealed here. Holy Spirit descends in the form of dove. Father talks witnessing the Son.

      St. Augustin : ` Father , Son and Holy Spirit is one in essence. three divine persons(hypostasis). Only Father said `This is my beloved Son,' and Father said this only with the Son. After baptism only H. Spirit descended on the Son. We are also sons of God. But not like Jesus Christ. He was truly and we are by adoption.

      [ Editor: In this book, study of H spirit is distributed in difference places. here is an excellent study about H. Spirit in one location]
      http://dianedew.com/holyspir.htm
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all