Re: Wedding Ring

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2002
      In the Syriac Orthodox tradition, the Blessing of the Rings is the
      first order of the matrimonial ceremony and is followed by the second
      order--the Blessing of the Crowns. The blessing of the rings
      represents a binding betrothal that constitutes half of the marriage;
      the latter completes the marriage.

      Before the Hutomo (concluding prayer) of the Blessing of the Rings,
      the priest puts the ring on the fingers of the bridegroom and the
      bride saying: "May the right hand of our Lord Jesus Christ be
      stretched out to you in mercy. Together with this visible ring of
      your betrothal, receive from Him the invisible grace of His mercy."

      This is at variance with the Western custom of the bridegroom and
      bride exchanging rings. The reason is evident from the older Syriac
      manuscripts of this service which read "Receive this ring of your
      betrothal from the hands of the revered priests as if it comes from
      the hands of the holy Apostles." Holy Matrimony is a Holy Sacrament,
      and it is God Who unites. The Church is not present as a mere
      witness, but as the effective instrument of the union of man and
      woman.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
      Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
      (http://syrcom.cu.edu/Hugoye)

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Mathew George" <Mathews_george@h...> wrote:
      > Dear Forum
      > Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on
      the
      > bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara
      Reethu /