Bible Study : Matthew chapter 3: Lesson 9

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1039 , Sep 5 6:04 AM
      High priests Caiaphas . . . Annas:
      ---------------------------------

      As per law there can be only one High priest at a time. But Romans appointed and removed them, as they liked. Annas was the high priest from AD 6 to AD 16. But Roman authorities deposed him and made Caiaphas the high priest. He was high priest from AD 18 AD 36. . He was Hanna's son-in-law. But Hanna being rich and a former high priest had lot of influence among the priests. So Caiaphas was the actual high priest during the ministry of the Savior. So during our Lords suffering , though Caiaphas was the high priest our Lord was taken to Hanna first. (John 18:13). Both of them were Sadducees. Hannas and his sons were engaged in business of sacrificial materials in the temple. He became really angry with our Lord when our Lord expelled traders from the temple. He persecuted our Lord and his disciples. (Mat 25:57, Mark 14:53, Luke 22; 66, John 18:24, acts 4:6).

      V erse Luke 3:4: "The voice of one calling out in the wilderness, Prepare the way of the Lord" [ all English translations use `the voice of one crying `.
      " But I think it should be a voice of calling out in the desert " .

      Luke connects John the Baptist with the one prophesied by Isaiah. Even John himself was aware of this. (Luke 1:76-77). It was the practice to clean the path through which a king was traveling and announce his arrival. John fulfilled that about our Lord's coming.

      V "All valleys shall be filled up, and all mountains and hills be lowered; and the hillock shall be leveled down, and the rough place become smooth"

      Here the valleys can be compared to lazy people and mountains to arrogant people and hillock to wicked people. Al these kinds of people have to be removed before our Lord to come.
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21 9:09 AM
        Dear all
        regards