Re: [SOCM-FORUM] TOTUS TUUS MARIA

  • DANIEL BABU PAUL
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
      All for you, O Mary. these were words uttered by Pope JP II as he fell down when he was shot at. I have adopted it as my email signature.
      TOTUS TUUS MARIA
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 13, 2002

        Recently, I have read some articles criticizing the Church for referring it to as  ‘SYRIAC Orthodox ’ instead of  ‘SYRIAN’ Orthodox Church.  I would like to point out some of the points that came to my mind.

        1.    According to the decision of the Church, the new reference ‘Syriac’ at present is applicable only to English speaking countries.  This I think is clearly explained during the announcement of the said decision.

        2.    The motivation behind the changing of name from ‘Syrian’ to ‘Syriac’ in America (and English countries) was to distinguish between “Syrian migrants” who were the ex-citizens of Syrian Nation  and  the “Syriani Christians” who may be from not only Syria, but also from other countries.  The Church was forced to take this decision because of some ethnic problems, which is mentioned in the concerned encyclical of His Holiness and was implemented just before the American census of 2000.  Further it is also clearly explained in the concerned encyclical that the name change is applicable only in the English speaking countries.

        3.    In Kerala, the Church will be continued to be referred as “SURIYANI” it being a   Malayalam speaking area;  similar is the case among the Arabic-speaking people of Syria where it will be mentioned as “SYRIANI” as before.

        ie; in the Middle East, where the general public’s language is Arabic, the English word ‘Syriac’ will be continued to be referred according to their local language, same is the case in Kerala where the local language is Malayalam.

        4.    Again it is to be noted that the English term ‘SYRIAN’ came into existence only with the British influence over the Asian countries.   Before the 18th centaury, our ancient Suriyani Church doesn’t had a presence in any of the English speaking countries.  The migrations to western countries started only by the 19th centaury.

        So earlier there wasn’t a slightest need for using an English word ‘Syrian’ by our Church in the Middle East or India.  Thus it is very clear that this English term ‘Syrian’ in our ancient “Suriyani Church” has only a few centuries influence.  In short, there is nothing like a sentimental or canonical support, to insist on using the term ‘Syrian’,  instead of ‘Syriac’  which is presently used by our Church in English speaking countries.

        So there is nothing wrong or extra-ordinary, if the Church is to be referred as ‘SYRIAC  Church’ instead of ‘SYRIAN’ in English.

        Also I think ‘Syriac’ is the apt translation of the Malaylam term ‘Suriyani’.

        Download new Yahoo! Messenger, with webcam Webcam facility