Re: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring

  • Fr. John Kunjukunju
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
      Our church practice is that the chief celebrant, priest or bishop, puts the
      blessed ring on both bride and groom. We believe that marriage-engagement
      and marriage, both are conducted by God. Actual Celebrant is God and the
      priest is representing God. According to Protestant outlook God is witness,
      not conducting. I think our tradition is sound.
      Fr John KK.

      >From: "Mathew George" <Mathews_george@...>
      >To: SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring
      >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:00:41 +0000
      >
      >Dear Forum
      >Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on the
      >bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara Reethu /
      >Marthoma) follows a different practice. Is it justified? Please throw some
      >light on this issue.
      >
      >Shibu

    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2002
        In the Syriac Orthodox tradition, the Blessing of the Rings is the
        first order of the matrimonial ceremony and is followed by the second
        order--the Blessing of the Crowns. The blessing of the rings
        represents a binding betrothal that constitutes half of the marriage;
        the latter completes the marriage.

        Before the Hutomo (concluding prayer) of the Blessing of the Rings,
        the priest puts the ring on the fingers of the bridegroom and the
        bride saying: "May the right hand of our Lord Jesus Christ be
        stretched out to you in mercy. Together with this visible ring of
        your betrothal, receive from Him the invisible grace of His mercy."

        This is at variance with the Western custom of the bridegroom and
        bride exchanging rings. The reason is evident from the older Syriac
        manuscripts of this service which read "Receive this ring of your
        betrothal from the hands of the revered priests as if it comes from
        the hands of the holy Apostles." Holy Matrimony is a Holy Sacrament,
        and it is God Who unites. The Church is not present as a mere
        witness, but as the effective instrument of the union of man and
        woman.

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
        Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
        (http://syrcom.cu.edu/Hugoye)