Re: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002

      Dear Shibu

      When human beings wear the ring to each other it is a convent between them. But when the priest as the heavenly representative wears it to the bride and groom, it is a covenant that the man and the woman make with God, that until death does we par. (This is want I understand, If I am wrong please correct me)

      Thomas Daniel

      >From: "Mathew George"

      >To: SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring
      >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:00:41 +0000
      >
      >Dear Forum
      >Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on the
      >bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara Reethu /
      >Marthoma) follows a different practice. Is it justified? Please throw some
      >light on this issue.
      >
      >Shibu

      >FREE COLLEGE MONEY
      >CLICK HERE to search
      >600,000 scholarships!
      >http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/m.VolB/TM

    • Fr. John Kunjukunju
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
        Our church practice is that the chief celebrant, priest or bishop, puts the
        blessed ring on both bride and groom. We believe that marriage-engagement
        and marriage, both are conducted by God. Actual Celebrant is God and the
        priest is representing God. According to Protestant outlook God is witness,
        not conducting. I think our tradition is sound.
        Fr John KK.

        >From: "Mathew George" <Mathews_george@...>
        >To: SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring
        >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:00:41 +0000
        >
        >Dear Forum
        >Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on the
        >bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara Reethu /
        >Marthoma) follows a different practice. Is it justified? Please throw some
        >light on this issue.
        >
        >Shibu

      • drthomas_joseph
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2002
          In the Syriac Orthodox tradition, the Blessing of the Rings is the
          first order of the matrimonial ceremony and is followed by the second
          order--the Blessing of the Crowns. The blessing of the rings
          represents a binding betrothal that constitutes half of the marriage;
          the latter completes the marriage.

          Before the Hutomo (concluding prayer) of the Blessing of the Rings,
          the priest puts the ring on the fingers of the bridegroom and the
          bride saying: "May the right hand of our Lord Jesus Christ be
          stretched out to you in mercy. Together with this visible ring of
          your betrothal, receive from Him the invisible grace of His mercy."

          This is at variance with the Western custom of the bridegroom and
          bride exchanging rings. The reason is evident from the older Syriac
          manuscripts of this service which read "Receive this ring of your
          betrothal from the hands of the revered priests as if it comes from
          the hands of the holy Apostles." Holy Matrimony is a Holy Sacrament,
          and it is God Who unites. The Church is not present as a mere
          witness, but as the effective instrument of the union of man and
          woman.

          Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
          Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
          Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
          (http://syrcom.cu.edu/Hugoye)