Bible Study : Matthew chapter 3: Lesson 3

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1039 , Sep 5, 2004
      Luke 1:11-17- announcation of the angel of the Lord appeared to Zechariah

      The appearance of angel is seen many times in the epistle of Luke. (Luke 1:26, 2:9, 13, 21, 12:8, 15:10, 16:22, and 22:43, 24:4,23.) It is also seen many times in Acts.

      "Verse: Luke: 1:13: "you shall call his name John".John (Aramaic : Yuhannon) means "Yahweh has shown favor" .

      Verse: Luke: 1: 15 "he will not drink wine nor strong drink, and will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother's womb."

      He was a vow of a Nazarite .( Number 6:1-21). As per the command given by Lord to Moses (to make a vow) he abstained from wine and any fermented drink, kept himself clean and did not shave his head. For some, the vow of Nazarite was for 30 days . But John was especially consecrated to God, like Samson. So the vow of Nazarite was for life. This practice was there in the early church as seen in Acts 18:18; 21:26. St. Hegesippus ( Jewish Christian, )who lived about the middle of the second century ) says that our Lords brother Jacob was a life Nazirite.

      St. John was filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. Only prophet Jeremiah had This blessing before.
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards