Wedding Ring

  • Mathew George
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
      Dear Forum
      Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on the
      bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara Reethu /
      Marthoma) follows a different practice. Is it justified? Please throw some
      light on this issue.

      Shibu

    • Thomas Daniel
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002

        Dear Shibu

        When human beings wear the ring to each other it is a convent between them. But when the priest as the heavenly representative wears it to the bride and groom, it is a covenant that the man and the woman make with God, that until death does we par. (This is want I understand, If I am wrong please correct me)

        Thomas Daniel

        >From: "Mathew George"

        >To: SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring
        >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:00:41 +0000
        >
        >Dear Forum
        >Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on the
        >bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara Reethu /
        >Marthoma) follows a different practice. Is it justified? Please throw some
        >light on this issue.
        >
        >Shibu

        >FREE COLLEGE MONEY
        >CLICK HERE to search
        >600,000 scholarships!
        >http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/m.VolB/TM

      • Fr. John Kunjukunju
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
          Our church practice is that the chief celebrant, priest or bishop, puts the
          blessed ring on both bride and groom. We believe that marriage-engagement
          and marriage, both are conducted by God. Actual Celebrant is God and the
          priest is representing God. According to Protestant outlook God is witness,
          not conducting. I think our tradition is sound.
          Fr John KK.

          >From: "Mathew George" <Mathews_george@...>
          >To: SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SOCM-FORUM] Wedding Ring
          >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:00:41 +0000
          >
          >Dear Forum
          >Traditionally and Biblically the bridegroom put the wedding ring on the
          >bride's finger. But somehow our tradition (Jacobite / Malankara Reethu /
          >Marthoma) follows a different practice. Is it justified? Please throw some
          >light on this issue.
          >
          >Shibu

        • drthomas_joseph
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2002
            In the Syriac Orthodox tradition, the Blessing of the Rings is the
            first order of the matrimonial ceremony and is followed by the second
            order--the Blessing of the Crowns. The blessing of the rings
            represents a binding betrothal that constitutes half of the marriage;
            the latter completes the marriage.

            Before the Hutomo (concluding prayer) of the Blessing of the Rings,
            the priest puts the ring on the fingers of the bridegroom and the
            bride saying: "May the right hand of our Lord Jesus Christ be
            stretched out to you in mercy. Together with this visible ring of
            your betrothal, receive from Him the invisible grace of His mercy."

            This is at variance with the Western custom of the bridegroom and
            bride exchanging rings. The reason is evident from the older Syriac
            manuscripts of this service which read "Receive this ring of your
            betrothal from the hands of the revered priests as if it comes from
            the hands of the holy Apostles." Holy Matrimony is a Holy Sacrament,
            and it is God Who unites. The Church is not present as a mere
            witness, but as the effective instrument of the union of man and
            woman.

            Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
            Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
            Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
            (http://syrcom.cu.edu/Hugoye)