Re: Remission and omission/ignorance of Syrian Orthodox tradition

  • Kuriakose George
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2004
      Dear All,

      I am pleased to know the thought of Mr. Alex Jojo from Banglore. It is fact that Malankara Syrian Church ( JSC/IOC ) hastly ordinated so many cleargies including bishops and priests etc( now both churches are in competition how may saint can be cannonized - if the last 90 years 1- 2 saints now the number may go up 10 -20 saints after 5 years) without any uidelines/ethics. This is one of the reason for the sad plight for remission and omission / ignorance of Syrian Orthodox churches in Kerala .

      I have seen that in 1970s priesthood has given without weighing family back ground, profession, qualification etc. I remember one article in Asian Age one of the leading daily ridiculed Malankara church made priest who is a police officer and holding the both posts simultaneously. it was reported because in history of india that a police officer ( who is forced handle different situation s - to be unkind with criminals - due to circumstances) will be on the altar, heard confession etc. This practice was never heard in any other religions in India. earlier days it was very difficut to become a x an priest and as of present scienerio, I doubt that, in near future , our priest shall be available at your door with a holy box/book ( same way the Hindu priests avaiable for pujas- do some rituals( audiance never understand the meaning of sanskrit he murmur - Do our audiance have fully conversant with the holy Qurbano/syriac word meaning - Frankly I am not). If we do not want , then our cleargies have to act fast. let us have criteria for priest hood, produce some quality priest not qty( numbers) ( Not like the Respected Raban who has writen some uncivilised articles in one of the church magazine).

      I would like to get a answer

      whether a police officer, barrister(attorney/ advocate) can hold priesthood simultaneously. If yes why

      With prayers
      Kuriajkose George
      St. Mary's JSC Marady Muvattupuzha, Ernakulam, Kerala
      St. James Orthodox church MV_III New Delhi

      PS: I apologise without any condition, if any body's feeling are hurt because of my above opinion.