Fwd: Article- Oriental Consanguinity (History)

  • BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2002
      From the desk of:
      ( Vayaliparambil Pynadath ) BPM
      BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW M

      ORIENTAL CONSANGUINITY
      A RETROSPECTION OF INDIA IN FOURTH DIMENSION

      "History is past politics and politics present history"
      says John Robert Sealey. Every nation has its dreams, the
      French dreamed being universally loved by all civilized
      people. Italians dreamed of making a mark on history like
      a lion with its claws .Germans loved of being a place in
      sun. Americans invincible, always right and in the long run
      always victorious. Soviet stood for international proletarian
      emancipation. The Portuguese and British apart from colonizing
      India dreamed of spiritually enslaving Indians to keep their
      hegemony forever intact.

      An English journalist attended Sunday service in a local
      church in Kerala. The altar was free from idols built in
      Persian architecture of East, priestly robes resembling dress
      code of Jewish high priest. He was shocked when he realized
      that the liturgy was written and recited in high tone not
      in Malayalam but in 'Syriac' a derivative(Edessene dialect)
      of ARAMAIC which Jesus Christ himself used .He was filled
      with awe to see a pure Eastern Church in the India of
      Hindus.

      When the first colonial power under navigatourship of
      Vasco Da Gamma landed in Kerala through Atlantic Ocean in
      1498 in search of spices of kerala, Gamma was shocked to
      see Churches through out coast of Kerala. He inquired
      whether they are followers of Pope. They replied they have
      nothing to do with Pope, they are Eastern Christians, the
      first Christians of the world and many of them came from
      Middle East. Gamma reported this to their king and their
      followed a great conspiracy between king and Pope to
      enslave Eastern Christians of India by draconian measures .
      Eastern Christians were specially invited by rulers of
      Kerala to develop trade and they controlled ,maintained all
      markets and all business including export in association
      with Jewish, Syrian merchants who owned wind jammers. The
      Portuguese Catholic bishop of Goa Alexio Menzes wanted all
      Christians in India to come under his jurisdiction adopt
      Roman orthodoxy. Menezes started a visit of parishes advocating
      name of Pope instead of Patriarch as spiritual head(council of
      trent 1562).Portuguese influenced local rulers and the Archdeacon,
      local head of eastern Christians was made to sever ties with
      East under duress. They burned all books and scriptures of
      Eastern Christians(Udayamperur synod .20/6/1599 AD).The Hindu local
      Cochin king supported Portuguese and issued proclamation that any
      sryian Priest or Church which abstained from synod of Catholic
      Portugeuse bishop for establishing Catholic Church in kerala ,
      their assets will be confiscated,yet no Syrian priests of Angamali,
      earnestwhile head quarters of Syrian Church attended synod , local
      king was helpless. Mean while local population found Portuguese
      practices morally disgusting as renowned historian Prof.Guptan
      Nair says "Portuguese introduced beef for first time in
      India and not the Eastern Christians. "Eastern Christians
      to whom loyalty is paramount started their secret resistive
      movement, the Archdeacon of Eastern Christians sent secret
      appeals to Patriarch of East to send any prophet to
      ordain bishop for Eastern Christians in India and to
      liberate from Portuguese control through Eastern merchants.
      It took at least a decade for a letter to reach Patriarch
      of Antioch/East by sea route. Bishop Mor Ahatalla from
      Syria reached Surat in 1652 .Mor Ahatalla was arrested by
      Jesuits on Aug. 3rd 1652. Portuguese took Mor Ahatalla to
      Goa, imprisoned him and was given choice of renouncing his
      Syrian Church accepting Pope or die. Mor Ahatalla was
      condemned a heretic by INQUISITION OF GOA and died
      at stake in 1654. The eastern Christians assembled in
      thousands at Cochin(Leaning cross event / KOONANKURISH SATHYAM ,
      16-1-1653 AD) and took oath no longer to submit to authority
      of Rome and be loyal to Patriarch of East only as their
      spiritual head. This broke yoke of Roman supremacy, Portuguese
      tried their best by arresting and killing as many Syrian
      prophets as possible as masters of sea. The Patriarch of
      Antioch and All the East again sent Abdel Galeel Mor
      Gregorios, bishop of Jerusalem and Eldo Mor Bascellios,
      bishop of Mosul(Iraq) to India.The former reached India
      in 1665 disguised as Arabic teacher and latter at age of
      ninety two through secret forest paths in 1685.Both
      revived and reconstructed completely shattered eastern
      Syrian Church in India(Kerala) gradually.Tipu Sultan of
      Mysore attacked Travencore in 1789AD during time of Darmaraja
      in which Tipu was defeated , but Tipu destoyed many
      Jacobite churches as a result many ancient Jacobite
      families fled from north Kerala to Ankamaly side ,
      Kottayam merged into strong dias for first time
      with construction of Seminary there for all later
      troubles. Essence of speech of PATRIARCH .PETER-III OF
      ANTIOCH during his apostolic entourage to India in 1876 to
      stem British subversion against Syrians in India "The extent
      of your calamity and tragedy you know much better than
      we can ever know.We went through your history and we know
      the IRREPARABLE damage done to you by Portuguese. For they
      pillaged your church ,plundered your antiques, burnt your
      records and priceless books, leaving you orphans and
      destitutes. Thus Papist had taken more than half of
      your people".Portuguese supplied gold petals hidden in edible
      church offering to masses. Portuguese thus separated many
      Eastern Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Christians to form new
      separate eastern Syrian Catholic church loyal to Pope in
      India.Hence many Catholic and Jacobite families still have same
      Patronymic (family name) especially in Ankamally region.When
      Dutch took sea control they helped genuine Syrian Christians
      loyal to East consolidate among new emerging Syrian Catholics
      loyal to Pope by letting free their ships to bring Syrian
      prophets from East (Turkey, Syria, Israel and Iraq ) to India
      as stated by Danish historian ADRIAN V. MOINES.

      Soon British missionaries started subversion against Syrian
      Christians in India by sowing seeds of reformation. Protestant
      practices were advocated. Fifth Anglican Metropolitan bishop
      Daniel Wilson came to Kerala and presented scheme intended
      to bring Syrian Christians gradually under Anglican
      Church(precursor of mavellikara padiyola -1836).Relations
      grew worse when Rev Joseph Peet broke into Syrian Seminary
      and removed all books, documents including historic copper
      plates to British Residency. (later condemned by CMS of England).
      Syrians affirmed supremacy of Jacobite Patriarch of Antioch and
      declared not to deviate. Some English missionaries spread
      propaganda that St.Thomas did not come to India.At this
      stage Patriarch Peter-III of Antioch met Queen Victoria and
      asked to stop meddling with Syrian Church in India, Queen
      did so but by the time seeds of reformation grew and a
      new British model independent eastern Syrian Protestant
      church(syrian Marthomite) was founded separating some
      Syrians from original Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Christians
      in India.(Jacobite- named after Jacob Baradius ,adventurous
      bishop of Edessa who rejuvenated Church during Roman arrogance)
      Sent by St.Peter, St.Thomas (Dydimus) the apostle was a
      sculptor came to India in 52A.D, along Adanes, a merchant
      of Gondophornes(king of India ) who was in Jerusalem in
      search of a skillful architect. Gondophornes remained a
      mythical figure until Archeological excavations at Taxila
      enabled to trace line of Gondophornes to Indo-Parthian
      dynasty which ruled area comprising of Afghan, Seistan,
      Punjab, Sind, N. W. Frontier Province from 95B.C. to 50A.D .
      St Thomas preached gospel first to Jews in India(reached
      because of Diaspora) and first converts to Christianity in
      India are Jews. St.Thomas was followed by Syrian bishop of
      Basra(Iraq) David Episcopa which no Western historians
      have recorded says historian Patriarch. Ignatius Aphrem-I of
      Antioch (1946,Homs-Syria)(bishop Vayaliparambil Mor Gregorios ":
      My Jerusalem Journey").

      Marco Polo Venetian traveller came to Mylapore in 1292A.D .His
      views are "Christians who thither on pilgrimages gather some
      soil from place were saint was killed and this they take
      to their countries".

      That which strengthen Christianity in Kerala( India) was
      immigration of Syrians from Mesopotamia to port of
      Muziris 345A.D.In 823 another batch from Syria arrived
      (Mor Sabrisho) beginning of new Malayalam Era known as
      ' KOLLA VARSHAM' with grant of royal patronage by king
      Ayyan to Mor .Sabrisho The high caste Hindu predominance
      can be seen in Syrian Orthodox ceremonial wedding in India
      with introduction of 'mangalsuthra'(thalikettu) which is
      absent in Syrian Churches in Middle East, apart from
      exchange of rings.This custom was copied by all new
      Syrian Churches later founded by colonial interference.
      Early Syrian Bishops were scholars in Arabic, Hebrew,
      Syriac, Sanskrit,Malayalam and Indian occult sciences like
      astrology, palmistry and indigenous medicine. Manifestly
      this FIRST genuine eastern Christian Church in India
      was result of "golden handshake" between Patriarchs of
      East and sages of India in bonafides as SIBLINGS of
      Great Oriental Civilization Syrian bishops as well as
      Namboodird Bhramins priest are addressed as 'Thirumeni
      (keeping body clean along soul)" is the best example
      that early local Indian population considered both
      religions as siblings.Right from St .Thomas all Syrian
      prophets reached India from Basra port (Iraq) via Persian
      Gulf sea route .They were solitaries like lion or eagle,
      came empty handed not with colonial armies yet created
      greater impact than West because spirit of God guided
      them .Colonial western spiritual policies were quintessence
      of dishonesty ,during ' Crusade' Italian sailors stole relics
      of Mor Sokha, Syrian bishop of Myra, Lycia (4th century A.D.
      born-Turkey). Italians built a new church in Bari (Italy)
      with relics and renamed him as St.Nicholas who later became
      famous by Western marketing as "SANTA CLAUSE". But he was
      a man of East. WILLIAM SOMERSET MAUGHAM accepts" Bible is
      purely a book of East beyond creativity and imagery of
      West, and there is nothing West can take pride of in
      this wonderful book" .In 1900, at Los Angles Swami.VIVEKANANDA
      said "You all often forget a vital fact that man from
      Nazareth belonged to ORIENT, inspite of your efforts to
      portray him in blue eyes and golden hair" .Internationally
      most Syrians are those Jews who accepted Jewish carpenter
      Esa Mashiha as " the root and offspring of David" .On
      observation you can see tombs of Syrian prophets throughout
      Jacobite or Syrian Orthodox Churches in Kerala, also names of
      Keralite Syrian Christians in epitaph of Syrian Cemetery in
      Jerusalem (Israel).This Oriental Consanguinity has been
      acknowledged by Hon. Supreme Court of India.The Supreme Court
      also recognizes H.H. Patriarch of Antioch and All the East
      in SYRIA as Supreme Head of Syrian Orthodox Christians
      in India.The Holy Throne Of Antioch was established by
      Patriarch.St .Peter, the chief Apostle in 37AD in Antioch (Turkey)
      as there was political unrest in Jerusalem after crucification
      of Christ in 33AD. (disciples of Christ were first called
      'Christians ' at Antioch, ACTS:11:26) .Same St.Peter then found
      another Church in Rome in 67AD later known as Roman Catholic
      Church. Today as independent free thinking gained momentum
      there are tens of thousands of independent new testament
      church assemblies in West with groups operating in India
      who often consider a Syrian Christian as a non -Christian
      and will speak gospel also to them in airports, railway
      stations, hostels, hospitals and streets around the world.
      These groups believe in Church more than that in God
      that may be the reason.This article has been written
      to eradicate misconception about origin of Christianity
      in India and its misunderstood Western Connection as our
      historians have failed to bring true facts to Indian
      public under the shadow of Western drafted Indian History.
      But the TRUTH is as DANIEL DEFOE says

      "Whenever God erects a house of prayer
      Devil always builds a chapel there
      And it will be found on examination
      That latter has a greater congregation".

      From the desk of: BIBU PHILIP MATHEW,
      Vayaliparambil Pynadath

      Published in NET college magazine, 2000; Mangalore.
    • DANIEL BABU PAUL
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2002
        comments for further refinement.
        1. language and style.
        2.distinguish between Eastern and Oriental.
        3.Baselios Yeldo was Catholicose
        4.Numismatic evidence connecting Gudnapher to Thomas.
        5.Thomas in NW India and Thomas in the south, work in Socotra and discovery
        of Trade winds and the revolutionary change in sea travel.
        TOTUS TUUS MARIA
          > acknowledged by Hon. Supreme Court of India.The Supreme
          Court
          > also recognizes H.H. Patriarch of Antioch and All the East
          > in SYRIA as Supreme Head of Syrian Orthodox Christians
          > in India.The Holy Throne Of Antioch was established by
          > Patriarch.St .Peter, the chief Apostle in 37AD in Antioch
          (Turkey)
          > as there was political unrest in Jerusalem after
          crucification
          > of Christ in 33AD. (disciples of Christ were first called
          > 'Christians ' at Antioch, ACTS:11:26) .Same St.Peter then found
          > another Church in Rome in 67AD later known as Roman
          Catholic
          > Church.

          1. Kindly also mention the names of other churches and the
          Apostles who founded them. For example: Churches founded by St.
          Mark, St. Andrew, (and even St. Thomas if you will) etc.
          2. According to most traditional teaching "Church of Anthioc"
          was founded by Apostles Peter and Paul.
          3. Oriental nature of a church is shown when church adopts to
          the life and culture of common people of the land. Just like
          Christ who spoke the language of common man, Aramaic.
          What is the cultural state of Christians in India, especially
          the Jacobite/ Orthodox factions? Are we going downhill culturally,
          degrading also the cultural values of traditional Indians?
          If so, how is this witnessing Christ and His church?
          Do we have a vision about existing as an Orthodox Church in Indian
          sub-continent? How the church is helping by adopting Ecumenical
          liturgical traditions to the life and culture of Indian people?
          Compare our siutation with the growth of Oriental church in
          Ethiopia, Armenia, Egypt etc.?
          4. Churches confessing same faith forms the one Church without
          division. There is no division according to teachings of ancient
          Church fathers, most notably St. Severus, St. Cyril etc.
          So whether the church of same faith develops in the West or
          in the Orient, it is the same church by nature of the confession.
          So, there is no special importance to Oriental culture, since
          Christ is for all civilizations. Our duty as Indian Christians
          should be to be like our neighbours in good aspects of the
          civilization, without acting foreign (Sheema) in culture, language
          etc.

          -T
        • drthomas_joseph
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2002
            I would like to point out that Mor Baselius Yaldo was not a
            Catholicos but a Maphryono--two entirely distinct positions.

            The Catholicos of the East whose seat was in Seleucia-Ctesiphon (and
            later Baghdad) was the primate of the Church of the East in Persia.
            Divided from the rest of Christendom in the Roman empire it did not
            participate in the ecumenical Synods but accepted those of Nicaea and
            Constantinople and thus the spiritual authority of the Patriarch of
            Antioch until the end of the 5th century. As a church in the Persian
            empire, it never was under the temporal jurisdiction of the Patriarch
            of Antioch. The succession of the Catholicos continues today in the
            Catholicos-Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East.

            The Maphryono (lit. "one who bears fruit" or "consecrator") on the
            other hand was the later title of the Syriac Orthodox metropolitan of
            Tagrit on the River Tigris who was from 629 considered the local head
            of the Syriac Orthodox Christians in Sassanid Persia called the
            Madnehoyo--the Easterners. These Syriac Christians originated partly
            from those abducted by Persians during the wars with Byzantium and
            forced to settle on Persian territory as also Persian Christians who
            resisted forced nestorianization and accepted the spiritual and
            temporal authority of the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch (see
            J.M. Fiey, CSCO Subs. 36, Louvain 1970, p. 55-65; W. Witakowski, The
            Syriac Chronicle of Pseudo-Dionysius of Tel-Mahre, 1987, p. 49). Even
            though elected by the eastern bishops the maphryono was ordained by
            the Patriarch of Antioch and was subordinate to the Patriarch. From
            793 starting with Maphryono Sarbelios they were not elected but
            nominated by the Patriarch of Antioch. The seat of the Maphryono was
            Dayro d-Mor Matay, but in later centuries the Maphryono resided with
            the Patriarch in the Kurkmo monastery in Mardin. It was at the Dayro
            d-Mor Matay that Mor Baselius Yaldo abdicated his position and set
            out to India. The last of the Maphryonos passed away in 1848.

            For the Christians in Persia, the position of Catholicos and
            Maphryono were distinct. For instance, Bar `Ebroyo was well known as
            a Maphryono of the East while his equally learned contemporary
            Timothy was well known as Catholicos.

            The title of Catholicos came to be identified with that of the
            Maphryono only in Malankara and that after the Catholicate
            was "transferred" to Malankara in 1912 by the hands of an expelled
            Patriarch of Antioch. If he established a new position of Catholicos
            for Malankara that would have been one thing, but the claim was that
            the Catholicate of Tagrit was transferred to Kerala (apparently to
            bestow historical authenticity to the position; we find the same
            claim repeated by none other than the current Catholicos recently).
            The fact is that there never was a Catholicate of Tagrit and at best
            the office of the Maphryono could have been transferred. But HG
            Vattasseril Mar Dionysius was adamant that the position be called the
            Catholicos and not the Maphryono as evident in his dialogue with
            Patriarch Mor Elias III at Thrikkunathu Seminary after HH arrived in
            Malankara in the early 1930s. The Patriarch offered to confer the
            position of Maphryono to establish peace but Mar Dionysius rejected
            the offer. On the one hand, the attempt was to establish the
            independence of the Catholicos from the Patriarch but at the same
            time not identify with the Catholicate of the Church of the East
            whose confession of faith is incompatible with that of the Oriental
            Orthodox churches.

            I would hope that St. Baselius Yaldo is properly referred to by his
            title Maphryono and not Catholicos.

            Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
            Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
            Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
            (http://syrcom.cu.edu/Hugoye)

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "DANIEL BABU PAUL" <dbabupaul@s...> wrote:
            > comments for further refinement.
            > 1. language and style.
            > 2.distinguish between Eastern and Oriental.
            > 3.Baselios Yeldo was Catholicose
            > 4.Numismatic evidence connecting Gudnapher to Thomas.
            > 5.Thomas in NW India and Thomas in the south, work in Socotra and
            discovery
            > of Trade winds and the revolutionary change in sea travel.
            > TOTUS TUUS MARIA
          • V Thomas
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2002
              Dear Sir,
              I request few answers from the learned members of our forum.
              1.What made early converts in India to change their name?.They could have
              kept their
              old names.Their hardly any Indian (showing our culturaal roots) name used by
              us.
              Is it due to the fact early christians were of jewish settlers in Kerala
              for whose sake St.Thomas came.?Our earlier names are
              like,Thoma,Mattai.Kuriakose
              Kurian etc are different from Hindu names.
              2.How come we used be called by the nick name Nazarani?
              The followers of man from Nazreth was known to Jews not Indinas.That may be
              due to the fact
              that converted jews and non converted jews existed at one time in abundance.
              3.Our Vadken pattukal,which describes much about great warriors of northern
              Kearala
              has no mention of christians.But it mentions Muslims?(If I am am correct it
              mentions
              Jonomars-who are muslims ).That may be due the fact below todays Palakkad
              only(rather cochin and around
              where jewish traders were there) christians existed.
              4.Few historians believe that Nairs were orginally Assirians,who were also
              matriarcal.
              Jews and later Arabs settled in Kerala coast later.
              5.Our Kerala history shows predominance of Tamil Bramins. Malayalam bramins
              came
              to prominance much later.Hence there was not much to blieve Nambudiris were
              the custodians of Hinduism those days..
              6.Use of cross among christians came later.When Thomas left Syria he could
              not
              have brought a cross in the same sense we see cross today-as a symbol of
              christinanity.But we have cross
              in use atleast 1500 years(our old churches are atleast 1500 years ,as
              history shows).
              What is so pure Indian about all these things.??
              Regards
              vmt

              Our earlier names are s----- Original Message -----
              > 1. Kindly also mention the names of other churches and the
              > Apostles who founded them. For example: Churches founded by St.
              > Mark, St. Andrew, (and even St. Thomas if you will) etc.
              > 2. According to most traditional teaching "Church of Anthioc"
              > was founded by Apostles Peter and Paul.
              > 3. Oriental nature of a church is shown when church adopts to
              > the life and culture of common people of the land. Just like
              > Christ who spoke the language of common man, Aramaic.
              > What is the cultural state of Christians in India, especially
              > the Jacobite/ Orthodox factions?
            • thomas_pa1
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
                --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "V Thomas" <vthomas@t...> wrote:
                > Dear Sir,
                > I request few answers from the learned members of our forum.
                > 1.What made early converts in India to change their name?.They could
                have
                > kept their
                > old names.Their hardly any Indian (showing our culturaal roots) name
                used by
                > us.
                > Is it due to the fact early christians were of jewish settlers in
                Kerala
                > for whose sake St.Thomas came.?Our earlier names are
                > like,Thoma,Mattai.Kuriakose
                > Kurian etc are different from Hindu names.

                Names of old mothers in the Malnakara church like "Achaamma",
                "Chinnamma", "Thankamma", ... are purely Indian names. So,
                from ancient times our community followed Indian (Hidhu) culture
                in everything. Our churches resembled Hindhu temples.
                Now, why do we want to divide this community into two groups
                and declare that one community is purely Syrian/middle-eastern
                and is mutually exclusive of the other lesser Indian one, when
                we have close blood relatives in each faction? Isn't this rather
                cruel? Why do we want to convert a great civilization in to Arabic
                style of fanaticism and culture?

                -T