Dhaiva Mathavinte Vaangippu perunal

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11 11:38 AM
      On August 15th the Holy Church will be celeberating the 'Dormition of the Theotokos'. In Greek Theo = GOD : tokos = BEARER So Theotokos means GOD BEARER. In malayalam we call this feast �Dhaiva Mathavinte Vaangippu perunal�

      I am attaching an icon that depicts the Dormition of the Theotokos(Moderators �To view the described picture, please visit our homepage http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCM-FORUM/). In the icon we can see the Apostles praying next to the body of the Holy Mother. In the back ground we can , our Lord Jesus Christ accompanied by heavenly angels receiving His beloved mother into His hands.

      The article below gives more details about "Vaanigippu Perunal'
      When the time drew nigh that our Savior was well pleased to take His Mother to Himself, He declared unto her through an Angel that three days hence, He would translate her from this temporal life to eternity and bliss. On hearing this, she went up with haste to the Mount of Olives, where she prayed continuously. Giving thanks to God, she returned to her house and prepared whatever was necessary for her burial.

      While these things were taking place, clouds caught up the Apostles from the ends of the earth, where each one happened to be preaching, and brought them at once to the house of the Mother of God, who informed them of the cause of their sudden gathering. Apostle Thomas who was preaching in India at that time was also carried on a cloud. But he was late. As a mother, she consoled the apostle in their affliction as was meet, and then raised her hands to Heaven and prayed for the peace of the world. She blessed the Apostles, and,reclining upon her bed with seemliness, gave up her all holy spirit into the hands of her Son and God.

      With reverence and many lights, and chanting burial hymns, the Apostles took up that God receiving body and brought it to the sepulchre, while the Angels from Heaven chanted with them, and sent forth her who is higher than the Cherubim. When they had reached the place called Gethsemane, they buried there with honor the all immaculate body of the Theotokos, which was the source of Life.

      While all the other apostles were present during the burial of the Theotokos, Apostle Thomas was not there as he was late. He was being carried to the holy city in a cloud. As he was approaching the city, he saw the Virgin rising up to heaven accompanied by angels. Supposing that he was seeing her soul, he cried out in anguish, both because he realized the world was deprived of her living intercession and because he had been unable to spend her last days with her and receive her blessing. Looking down from on high with compassion, the Blessed Virgin removed her girdle (soonoro) and dropped it down from a great height. It landed directly in the outstretched hands of the holy apostle who, after he had seen her disappear from sight, just as had Our Lord, hastened into the city to inform the Apostles of all this.

      After reaching Jerusalem, Apostle Thomas told the rest of the Apostles what he saw. Hearing this, they opened the tomb and saw that the body of the Theotokos was not there. On the third day after the burial, when they were eating together, and raised up the artos (bread) in Jesus' Name, as was their custom, the Theotokos appeared in the air, saying "Rejoice" to them.

      From this they all believed concerning the bodily translation of the Theotokos into the Heavens.

      Yours in Christ!
      Mathew G M
      St.John's Church Ayyampilli