Spiritual Words

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      "The struggle is necessary, but not sufficient.' The Master, Christ,
      also witnesses to this fact when He cries out expressly, `He who is
      not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me
      scatters' (Luke 11:23). In saying this He shows that the one who
      does not keep His commandments in every way and with every effort,
      and who is not constantly acquiring the virtues through the practice
      of the commandments, is not in fact making any progress, but merely
      seems to be refraining from evil. Such a man does not cleave greatly
      to what is good, but has ceased, as it were, from collecting the
      virtues by virtue of his neglect of the commandments. He cannot even
      keep what he appears to have, but loses even that because of his
      laziness, and this is what `he who does not gather, scatters'
      signifies."

      St. Symeon the New Theologian.

      "I will shake all nations, and they shall come to the Desire of All
      Nations, and I will fill this temple with glory,' says the Lord of
      hosts." Haggai 2:7