76th Birthday of Bava Thirumeni

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21 10:19 PM
      By the Grace of Almighty God, Aboon Mor Baselious Thomas I, the
      Catholicose Of India, is celebrating his 76th Birthday on July 29,
      2004.

      Born in the Cheruvillil family of Vadayambadi, Puthenkuriz to Mathai
      and Kunjamma on 29th July 1929, early part of his life was full of
      sufferings. Though he belonged to an aristocratic family, by the
      time he was born the family had seen bad days. As a child he had
      frequent bouts of illness which affected his education. His mother
      used to take the young boy frequently to the nearby Malecuriz Dayro
      where the relics of late Patriarch St. Elias III and St.Gregorios
      (Parumala Thirumeni) had been interred.

      His priestly formation was under the guidance of Mor Philoxenos
      Paulose (late Catholicos Mor Baselios Paulose II) who ordained
      him 'Korooyo' in 1952 and 'Shamshono' at Kadamattom Church in 1957.
      In August 1958, C M Thomas was ordained 'Kassisso' (full priest) by
      Mor Yulius Elias at the Majanikkara Dayro

      In January 1974, Fr. C M Thomas was elected to the episcopate by the
      Malankara Jacobite Syrian Christian Association, convened at the
      Karingachira St. George Church and was consecrated Metropolitan with
      the title 'Mor Dionysius' by H.H Mor Ignatius Ya`qub III on 24th
      February 1974 at Damascus, Syria. He was entrusted with the charge
      of Angamali diocese, the largest of all the Syrian Orthodox dioceses
      which has a membership of more than half a million.

      On 27th December 2000, His Excellency was chosen as the Catholicose-
      designate by the Holy Episcopal Synod. The Church delegates meeting
      held at Puthenkuriz on the same day, unanimously approved this
      decision. H.H the Patriarch, however, waited for two more years in
      expectation of a peaceful settlement to the longstanding dispute
      between the two factions of Malankara Church.

      But as it became clearer that the chances for reconciliation is
      remote because of the insincerity on the part of the opposite
      faction; a crucial convention was convened at Puthencuriz, Kerala on
      6th July 2002 in which delegates from all the parishes participated
      and they approved a new constitution for the effective administration
      of the Indian Church with the consent of the supreme head, the
      Patriarch of Antioch & all the East. H.E. Mor Dionysius Thomas was
      elected as the Catholicose and the Metropolitan Trustee of the
      Jacobite Syrian Christian Church at this historic Church
      Association. The election was later ratified by the Holy Episcopal
      Synod of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church on 22nd July 2002.

      On Friday the 26th July 2002, His Holiness Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka
      I Iywas the Patriarch of Antioch & all the East, consecrated the 73-
      year old Mor Dionysius Thomas as the CATHOLICOS with the
      title 'BASELIOS THOMAS I', at a solemn function held at the St.
      Ephrem Church, Marth Saydnaya, Damascus. Thus fulfilling the wishes
      of multitude of faithful, the Malankara Church received a Catholicos
      after a gap of six years. In the Syrian Orthodox Church hierarchy,
      the Catholicos is second in order to the supreme spiritual head, the
      Patriarch of Antioch
      (Biography http://saintgregorios.org/PARUMALA/Catholicos_ThomasI.htm)

      We wish our beloved Aboon, a blessed and esteemed, healthy and long
      life. In our daily prayers, let us pray for H.B, to continue to lead
      the Church in Malankara with the divine guidance.

      In Our Lords Love
      Forum Moderators