Re: Perumany Jacobite Church & relics of St. Parumala Grigorious

  • Biju Kurian
    Message 1 of 1039 , Jul 14, 2004
      Dear Forum members,

      The news in the original post (by Mr. Aliyas Issac)
      refers to a different problem, I think. It is a
      question of the fairly recent trend of distributing relics in
      order to convert churches into prilgim centeres and
      not just related to the reverance to holy relics. I think,
      any effort to classify this issue just as an
      "irrevarance to holy relics" should be considered atleast as an
      oversimplification of the matter. [If not considered as a better
      defensive mechanism to support these activities by denying even
      the slightest chances of being discussed. (Since being "againt
      respecting saints" has been a hot heresy!!!)].
      A generic pattern can be observed for these kinds of activities:
      - Obtain the relic
      - Erect it
      - Start a new set of perunnals
      - Start "propagating" the speciality of the church
      due to the relic
      - Device new modes of offerings for the relic/saint and
      encourage ppl. (non-christians too) to respect (often that the way to
      given to God!) the relic in 'many' ways! Often the relic becomes the
      center of attraction outcasting the Lord himself!!
      - Start a new set of 'traditions' to respect (?!) the
      relic [ like "koodu thurakkal" ('casket opening ceremony']
      - Shortly, the church earns the status of a plgrim
      center; more like a center of attraction - obviously creating more
      job opportunities and even more income!

      On a closer look we may find some more socio-economical patterns on
      these activities, which would mostly be unsupported by
      faith/teachings. Obvioulsy, these practices result in propagating
      false info (More often saints are considered as "Gods" even by
      a "believer" , especially living in the midst of a society who
      believe in multiple gods! If you are from Ernakulam area, haven't
      you seen old people comparing "karingachira muthappan"
      and "thripunithura appan" ? Unfortunately, many of the "shepherds"
      also encourage the superstitious status / naming conventions for
      saints)

      Considering these, we should discourage, these activities in our
      church.

      Do you think the Q/As given in the book by Rev. Fr.
      Kaniyamparampil addressing this kind of "thirusheshippu
      sthhapikkal" ? ("obtaining and erecting relics") :

      They are better be read as justifications/reasonsing for why we
      RESPECT the holy fathers and the holi relics as opposed to the
      new teachings of the "neo christians". It also talks about the
      importance of why we should preserve them [Should "the distribution"
      be considered as a mode of preservation ?!]

      Do you really think collecting the relics of St.Ignatius should be
      considered as an "early form" of the "thirusheshippu sthhapikkal"
      trend ?

      Hope the forum members would contribute to this discussion.

      Also please see the following thread for a similar topic:

      snehapoorvam,
      biku

      Biju Kurian
      Marthoman Church Mulanthuruthy