Re: Info on Pontius Pilate Needed

  • daniel_reji
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
      In the E.O Church, Pontius Pilate's wife, St. Procla is commemorated
      on 27 October. According to Fr. Justin Popovich's LIVES, she was
      baptized a Christian and lived a pious life, reposing peacefully. No
      mention is made of the fate of Pilate himself.

      Other some interesting about Pilate is as follows.

      http://www.cs.vu.nl/~eliens/documents/java/jhbeta-
      installed/demos/hs/holidays/hol/easter/now.html

      PONTIUS PILATE
      Three years after the affair with Jesus of Nazareth, in A.D. 36,
      after having served 10 years as military and political prefect of
      Judea, a revolt started in Samaria. An obscure pseudo-prophet with
      Messianic ambitions had promised the Samaritans that he would uncover
      some sacred temple utensils that Moses has supposedly buried on their
      sacred Mt. Gerizim. The multitude that gathered came armed with
      weapons and Pilate ordered his troops to block the ascent. It came to
      a pitched battle. Pilate, having won, executed the leaders of the
      uprising. The Samaritan Senate complained to Pilate's superior, the
      proconsul of Syria, who ordered Pilate to return to Rome to answer
      the charges against him. However, the Emporer Tiberius died before
      Pilate reached Rome. Whether he was tried by the Emporer Caligula, we
      do not know. Nor do we know what ultimately happened to him. Perhaps
      he was banished to Gaul. Some medieval legends have his restless
      corpse, accompanied by squadrons of demons, disrupting localities of
      France and Switzerland, causing storms, earthquakes, and other havoc.
      The early church father Tertullian claimed that Pilate "was a
      Christian in his conscience," and the Greek Orthodox church canonized
      his wife, while the Ethopian church even recognizes a St. Pilate and
      St. Procula's Day on June 25. Saint or sinner, Pilate probably spent
      the rest of his days as a retired government official, a pensioned
      Roman magistrate emeritus, enjoying a less than sensational fate.

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Mathew George" <Mathews_george@h...> wrote:
      > Dear forum members
      >
      > I received the following emails recently and I'm wondering if anyone
      > on the list can provide any help in this pastor's quest for Orthodox
      > info regarding Pontius Pilate. (I'd be interested, too, since I
      > didn't realize that Pilate was considered a saint. What is his
      > commemoration date?)
      >
      > Shibu
    • DANIEL BABU PAUL
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
        There is a TRADITION that Pilate became a Christian later. Tertullian has
        described P as A CHRISTIAN IN HIS OWN RIGHT and someone else has said
        UNCIRCUMCISED IN FLESH BUT CIRCUMCISED IN HEART. Greek Church commemorates
        the memory of his wife on October 27. Coptic church has a tradition that
        Pilate became a martyr later.
        TOTUS TUUS MARIA