Re: Denever-Consecration

  • Biju Kurian Mathews
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2004
      When I read through Thirumeni's Message, I remember two instances in
      which priests were chucked out by the IOC authorities.

      It happened few years back in St.George Valiyapally Puthuppally
      during a funeral service.(At that time Church was under the custody
      of Court Receivers). The man who expired was an IOC member. Naturally
      IOC priests took charge of the funeral service. Two of our (Jacobite)
      priests also came to attend the service. One of them was his relative
      and another a friend. They came inside the church with other
      relatives. Then the IOC priests declared that if they (our priests)
      remain inside the church the service can not be started. Thus they
      were neatly expelled. As they were peaceable persons they went out
      with tearful eyes.

      Another incident happened in Ancheri (Near Puthuppally) Orthodox
      Church. One of the IOC member died. Most of his family members belong
      to Marthoma Church. IOC Kottayam Bishop Geevarghese Mar Ivaniose was
      invited to lead the service.(Mar Ivaniose himself was born รพ& brought
      up in a Marthomite family, later he joined IOC & became a bishop).
      One of the Marthomite Priests who was a close relative of the
      departed soul came to attend the service. When the bishop saw that
      the Marthomite priest was inside the church , he got angry and
      ordered the church vicar to chuck him out. This caused some
      displeasure among the family members. As the priest was a peaceful
      person he went out without any argument. He didn't want to create a
      scene.

      This two instances can be compared with what happened in the church
      in US. This clearly states that the thirumeni's stance can be easily
      justified. The priests were not shown disrespect. Thirumeni had
      surely shown humanity towards them. I think thirumenis' conduct
      should be greatly appreciated instead of showing disapproval.

      Biju Kurian Mathews
      St.George Church Puthuppally
      St. Mary's church Muscat