Re: Patriarchal Encyclical for Lent 2002

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
      I am sorry to note that a posting of the Patriarchal Encyclical on
      Lent has engendered a discussion on who can and cannot issue such
      encyclicals, rather than reflection on or discussion of the
      exhortations contained therein. As I mentioned in the original
      posting, the tradition of reading the Patriarch's encyclical at the
      Qotne Sunday is ancient. Unfortunately, in Malankara, despite the
      good intentions of those who wish to maintain the spiritual ties with
      the Holy See of Antioch, such encyclicals from the Patriarch have not
      been translated and distributed to churches in a timely fashion. It
      is hence not surprising that many of us from Malankara are probably
      unaware of such a tradition. These encyclicals have been historically
      lengthy and I wonder how many of our staunch faithful would endure
      the reading of the encyclical. Given that, it is impractical to
      suggest that bishops should also issue an encyclical on the same
      subject.

      - Thomas