Info on Pontius Pilate Needed

  • Mathew George
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2002
      Dear forum members

      I received the following emails recently and I'm wondering if anyone
      on the list can provide any help in this pastor's quest for Orthodox
      info regarding Pontius Pilate. (I'd be interested, too, since I
      didn't realize that Pilate was considered a saint. What is his
      commemoration date?)

      Shibu

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
        In the E.O Church, Pontius Pilate's wife, St. Procla is commemorated
        on 27 October. According to Fr. Justin Popovich's LIVES, she was
        baptized a Christian and lived a pious life, reposing peacefully. No
        mention is made of the fate of Pilate himself.

        Other some interesting about Pilate is as follows.

        http://www.cs.vu.nl/~eliens/documents/java/jhbeta-
        installed/demos/hs/holidays/hol/easter/now.html

        PONTIUS PILATE
        Three years after the affair with Jesus of Nazareth, in A.D. 36,
        after having served 10 years as military and political prefect of
        Judea, a revolt started in Samaria. An obscure pseudo-prophet with
        Messianic ambitions had promised the Samaritans that he would uncover
        some sacred temple utensils that Moses has supposedly buried on their
        sacred Mt. Gerizim. The multitude that gathered came armed with
        weapons and Pilate ordered his troops to block the ascent. It came to
        a pitched battle. Pilate, having won, executed the leaders of the
        uprising. The Samaritan Senate complained to Pilate's superior, the
        proconsul of Syria, who ordered Pilate to return to Rome to answer
        the charges against him. However, the Emporer Tiberius died before
        Pilate reached Rome. Whether he was tried by the Emporer Caligula, we
        do not know. Nor do we know what ultimately happened to him. Perhaps
        he was banished to Gaul. Some medieval legends have his restless
        corpse, accompanied by squadrons of demons, disrupting localities of
        France and Switzerland, causing storms, earthquakes, and other havoc.
        The early church father Tertullian claimed that Pilate "was a
        Christian in his conscience," and the Greek Orthodox church canonized
        his wife, while the Ethopian church even recognizes a St. Pilate and
        St. Procula's Day on June 25. Saint or sinner, Pilate probably spent
        the rest of his days as a retired government official, a pensioned
        Roman magistrate emeritus, enjoying a less than sensational fate.

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Mathew George" <Mathews_george@h...> wrote:
        > Dear forum members
        >
        > I received the following emails recently and I'm wondering if anyone
        > on the list can provide any help in this pastor's quest for Orthodox
        > info regarding Pontius Pilate. (I'd be interested, too, since I
        > didn't realize that Pilate was considered a saint. What is his
        > commemoration date?)
        >
        > Shibu
      • DANIEL BABU PAUL
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
          There is a TRADITION that Pilate became a Christian later. Tertullian has
          described P as A CHRISTIAN IN HIS OWN RIGHT and someone else has said
          UNCIRCUMCISED IN FLESH BUT CIRCUMCISED IN HEART. Greek Church commemorates
          the memory of his wife on October 27. Coptic church has a tradition that
          Pilate became a martyr later.
          TOTUS TUUS MARIA