The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 13

  • T. C Chacko
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 18, 2004
      The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 13
      Fr. Cherian George Poothicote
      (Zachariah Mor Nicholovos, the former Metropolitan of the Malankara
      Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America)
      Dept. of History of Christianity, M.S.O.T Seminary

      EVALUATION

      From the above narrative we can easily visualize the shameful plight
      into which the Syrian Orthodox Church in India has fallen, and the
      continuous and unceasing dispute about the authority and taking each
      and every issue into courts of law. The above discussion proves to us
      beyond any doubts that the schism which came into being had its
      origins in the arrogant and uncompromising character of Mar
      Dionysius. His unwillingness to comply with the traditions of the
      church was the basic reason for this schism. Here we also have to
      admit that he like any other human being, is a product of his
      environment and his position should be evaluated in the general
      context of the Indian History.

      In this schism we descry clear disagreement on the question of
      authority which was derived from different concepts of the Church.
      Mar Dionysius VI, was a person who was trained till the age of 18,
      i.e. his formative years, in C.M.S. institutions; and he naturally
      have imbibed some of the Protestant ideals of church polity. This is
      true about his supporters also. Most of his lay supporters like Mr.
      K.C. Mammen Mappillai and Mr. E.J. John were people educated in
      Protestant institutions.

      The training received by Mar Dionysius and the leaders of his
      supporters in the Protestant institutions must have had an
      Anglicizing impact on them. It is only natural that the exulted group
      develop and maintain a worshipful attitude towards the exploiters
      unknowingly and try to imitate them ever where possible. This type of
      Anglicization in the cultural areas and the militant nationalism
      which was on the rise all over India must be seen as an important
      reason for the parochial ecclesiological position took by Mar
      Dionysius. Thus it becomes obvious to us that the Dionysius schism
      was the result of the adamancy of a misguide bishop who, despite his
      scholarship and vast knowledge could not view the church as a
      movement which transcend geographical cultural and linguistic
      barriers and his misguided efforts resulted in the formation of a
      church in which the credulous affirmation of being a catholic
      (universal) church became a mere force.

      T. C Chacko
      St. Mary's Church
      Manarkadu