The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 12

  • T. C Chacko
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 18, 2004
      The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 12
      Fr. Cherian George Poothicote
      (Zachariah Mor Nicholovos, the former Metropolitan of the Malankara
      Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America)
      Dept. of History of Christianity, M.S.O.T Seminary

      THE LIFE HISTORY OF MAR DIONYSIUS

      Before evaluating the events narrated we should have a look at the
      life history of Mar Dionysius. A look into the personal history will
      be helpful for us to evaluate the schism he had originated.
      Geevarghese was born into Vattasseril family of Mallappally in the
      year 1858. This village is the place where the Anglican missionaries
      of the C.M.S. had established its first Church for the Syrian
      Christians who joined the Church of England. Young Geevarghese had
      his early education in Malayalam alphabet and Arithmetic from the
      local village teacher. After this he joined the local school and for
      high school education he had to go to Kottayam. Both these schools
      were run by the C.M.S. missionaries.

      While Geevarghese was a student in the C.M.S. High School at
      Kottayam, Patriarch Peter III visited India and Geevarghese was
      ordained to the minor order by the Patriarch himself. After the
      ordination he stopped school studies and took up the Syriac studies
      under Mar Gregorios of Parumala and Mar Ivanios of Kandanad.
      In the year 1880 he was ordained priest and in 1811 he was appointed
      to teach at the Parumala Seminary and later in the year 1885 when the
      Kottayam Seminary was recovered by Mar Dionysius V, Fr. Geevarghese
      along with Konat Mathan Malpan began to teach there which he
      continued till his consecration as Metropolitan in the year 1909. The
      events after his consecration has already, been discussed in this
      article and in a ripe old age he died in the year 1934.

      Conted: Part 13

      T. C Chacko
      St. Mary's Church
      Manarkadu