The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 11

  • T. C Chacko
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 18 12:20 AM
      The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 11
      Fr. Cherian George Poothicote
      (Zachariah Mor Nicholovos, the former Metropolitan of the Malankara
      Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America)
      Dept. of History of Christianity, M.S.O.T Seminary

      Thus on 17th September 1912 Mar Abdul Masiah the deposed Patriarch,
      claimed to have raised Mar Ivanios the bishop who was made to retire
      from the power because of senility; to the Catholicate at Niranam.
      This event was another important turning point in the history of the
      Syrian Orthodox Church in India. It brought in a horde of new issues
      into the already complicated dispute and made it further complicated.
      Though we have to go into the history of the Catholicate itself to
      have a comprehension of the issues we do not have the space and time
      here to derive deep into the subject.

      This pseudo establishment of the Catholicate by a deposed Patriarch
      for a party of an excommunicated has to be seen as an assertion
      parochialism against catholicity. It was done in a context when the
      ruling Patriarch did not comply with the parochial interest of the
      local bishop. This event has to be seen as the culmination of the
      parochialism.

      Throughout this period of continued depletion of the energies and
      financial resources of Church, there came verdicts declaring one or
      the other party victorious. There were also peace talks going on
      simultaneously. Many Patriarchs came to the throne. Mar Dionysius
      visited Mardin to negotiate for peace while there was a verdict
      favouring the Patriarch and an agreement was arrived at. But on his
      coming back he realised that the verdict has been successfully
      manipulated and he changed his mind and the Church's desire for peace
      could not be fulfilled. Till his death in 1934 he managed to keep the
      church split.

      Conted: Part 12

      T. C Chacko
      St. Mary's Church