The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 10

  • T. C Chacko
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 18, 2004
      The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 10
      Fr. Cherian George Poothicote
      (Zachariah Mar Nicholovos, the former Metropolitan of the Malankara
      Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America)
      Dept. of History of Christianity, M.S.O.T Seminary

      THE PSEUDO ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CATHOLICATE

      The party supporting Mar Dionysius was already scheming on the course
      of action to be taken in case of excommunication even before the
      event, since Mar Dionysius was perhaps sure about him being
      excommunicated by the Patriarch. One of the main leaders of the
      group, a close lieutenant of Mar Dionysius Fr. P.T. Geevarghese
      Panicker started corresponding with the deposed Patriarch Mar Abdul
      Masiah. Mar Abdul Masiah was very happy to get a chance like this and
      the occasion was made use of by the Dionysius party to establish a
      Catholicate in Malankara.

      The request for a Catholicate in Malankara was neither new nor a
      scheme hatched by Mar Dionysius or anybody from his group. The
      Malankara Church pleaded for a Catholicate in Malankara to Mar Peter
      III and to Mar Abdul Masiah while he was on the throne. The reply
      from Mar Abdul Masiah was as follows:

      He who writes for this purpose (for Catholicate) would be accursed by
      the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

      The same person who wrote the above reply was willing to re-establish
      the Catholicate after his deposition. Even after the deposition he
      was hesitant to do This story is narrated by Fr. P.T. Geevarghese in
      a booklet titled "GIRIDEEPAM". He being the master-brain behind the
      drama knows the story and all the facts. He has narrated vividly the
      hesitation Mar Abdul Masiah had about the establishment of the
      Catholicate and how Fr. Geevarghese managed to coax him to do it.

      Conted: Part 11

      T. C Chacko
      St. Mary's Church
      Manarkadu