The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 9

  • T. C Chacko
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 18 12:19 AM
      The Twentieth Century Schism In The Malankara Church – Part 9
      Fr. Cherian George Poothicote
      (Zachariah Mor Nicholovos, the former Metropolitan of the Malankara
      Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America)
      Dept. of History of Christianity, M.S.O.T Seminary

      The Patriarch seeing the necessity of having new bishops consecrated
      two new bishops, Mar Athanasius and Mar Severius.

      The climax of the tension between the Patriarch and Mar Dionysius was
      reached with the excommunication of Mar Dionysius VI on 8th June 1911
      on the following charges.

      1. The properties belonging to the church were not managed and
      utilised in the best interests of the church.
      2. Mar Dionysius, keeping in view of his personal interests,
      functioned in complete freedom and authority which was not in the
      best interests of the Holy Church.
      3. In order to secure such freedom and authority, Mar Dionysius
      kindled feud and dissentions in the church.
      4. Mar Dionysuis endeavoured to exercise absolute power in an
      independent manner as if there was no higher authority.
      5. Mar Dionysius did not obey the legal and rightful higher authority.
      6. Mar Dionysius behaved and acted in a false and prejudicial manner,
      which belittled the honour and reverence due to the Patriarch and the
      Holy Throne of St. Peter and abetted such actions by others.
      7. All the above acts violated the provisions of the Shalmosa
      contracted by Mar Dionysius at the consecration in the presence of
      Holy Trinity, Saints and angels, the Holy Sanctuary and the dreadful
      Holy Qurbana.

      On the above charges, Mar Dionysius VI was "excommunicated deposed,
      and de-robed" from the position of metropolitan.

      A few days after receiving the letter of excommunication, on 27th
      June 1911 Mar Dionysius convened a meeting of the managing committee
      members at M.D. Seminary chapel. The meeting was attended by Mar
      Dionysius himself and Mar Alvares Julius a metropolitan consecrated
      from among the people who joined the Syrian Orthodox Church from
      among the Roman Catholics and many of the lay and clergy leaders who
      had sympathy towards Mar Dionysius. This meeting decided to call for
      an Association. The Association convened had a majority of the
      supporters of Mar Dionysius because most of the parishes did not sent
      representatives as it was convened by the excommunicated
      Metropolitan. This so called association was held on 7th September
      1911. It passed a resolution to the effect of supporting the
      excommunicated Metropolitan and removing the two trustees from the
      trusteeship and appointing two others to their places. At the same
      time the Malankara association was convened as per instruction of the
      Patriarch. This Association meeting was held on 31st August 1911. And
      was attended by the Patriarch himself, Sleeba Mar Osthathios and
      three Indian Metropolitans. This meeting elected Mar Coorilose as the
      Malankara Metropolitan and prayed to the Patriarch to make the
      appointment to that effect. After appointing Mar Coorilose as the
      Malankara Metropolitan as per the request of the Malankara
      Association, the Patriarch left India with a heavy heart because of
      the split and the disputes which were kindled by the obstinate nature
      of one bishop.

      Conted: Part 10

      T. C Chacko
      St. Mary's Church