Re: [SOCM-FORUM] A DOUBT

  • Fr. John Kunjukunju
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2002
      Candle symbolizes "Christian". As the candle is made up of wax collected from various kinds of flowers and made into one, so is Christianity made of various nations and gentiles, etc.
      It also symbolizes St John the Baptist and his saying, "You may increase, I may decrease." That is, reminding the spirit of humility and love for others. Self-sacrificing love is the underlying factor. A Christian is supposed to sacrifice his own self for the good of other as Christ did - of course that is totally forgotten these days.
      There is a practical side also. In olden days when there was no electricity it was a source of light. Here again, a Christian ought to be the light of the world, it reminds, love, Johnachan.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
        I am sorry to note that a posting of the Patriarchal Encyclical on
        Lent has engendered a discussion on who can and cannot issue such
        encyclicals, rather than reflection on or discussion of the
        exhortations contained therein. As I mentioned in the original
        posting, the tradition of reading the Patriarch's encyclical at the
        Qotne Sunday is ancient. Unfortunately, in Malankara, despite the
        good intentions of those who wish to maintain the spiritual ties with
        the Holy See of Antioch, such encyclicals from the Patriarch have not
        been translated and distributed to churches in a timely fashion. It
        is hence not surprising that many of us from Malankara are probably
        unaware of such a tradition. These encyclicals have been historically
        lengthy and I wonder how many of our staunch faithful would endure
        the reading of the encyclical. Given that, it is impractical to
        suggest that bishops should also issue an encyclical on the same
        subject.

        - Thomas