Mor Vattasseril Dionasius

  • Joshy C Abraham
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2002
      Dear Brothern,

      Sabha asuran Mor Vattasseril Dionasius to be declared as 'saint' by the
      'Manorama church' heads !!! Really WONDERFUL news !! ??????

      Joshy
    • dipu george
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2002

         what is the sigificance of lighting candles in our prayers . does it have any symbolism?

        or is it a portugese latina custom which we follow

        aloho ahmuch

        dipu george

        Do You Yahoo!?
      • Fr. John Kunjukunju
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2002
          Candle symbolizes "Christian". As the candle is made up of wax collected from various kinds of flowers and made into one, so is Christianity made of various nations and gentiles, etc.
          It also symbolizes St John the Baptist and his saying, "You may increase, I may decrease." That is, reminding the spirit of humility and love for others. Self-sacrificing love is the underlying factor. A Christian is supposed to sacrifice his own self for the good of other as Christ did - of course that is totally forgotten these days.
          There is a practical side also. In olden days when there was no electricity it was a source of light. Here again, a Christian ought to be the light of the world, it reminds, love, Johnachan.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
            I am sorry to note that a posting of the Patriarchal Encyclical on
            Lent has engendered a discussion on who can and cannot issue such
            encyclicals, rather than reflection on or discussion of the
            exhortations contained therein. As I mentioned in the original
            posting, the tradition of reading the Patriarch's encyclical at the
            Qotne Sunday is ancient. Unfortunately, in Malankara, despite the
            good intentions of those who wish to maintain the spiritual ties with
            the Holy See of Antioch, such encyclicals from the Patriarch have not
            been translated and distributed to churches in a timely fashion. It
            is hence not surprising that many of us from Malankara are probably
            unaware of such a tradition. These encyclicals have been historically
            lengthy and I wonder how many of our staunch faithful would endure
            the reading of the encyclical. Given that, it is impractical to
            suggest that bishops should also issue an encyclical on the same
            subject.

            - Thomas