OC Orthodox: ecclesiology and Christian reunion

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2002

      From another list - with a very good well thought-out question. I have invited him to join our list.

      DATE: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:46:43
      From: Jeremiah Davis <jeremiah_s_davis@y...>
      To: transfiguration@a...

      Dear friends,
      As you are no doubt aware, the jurisdiction through which I am entering the Church (the
      Antiochian) has signed a "pastoral agreement" with the Syrian (non-Chalcedonian) Orthodox Church, and many of the clergy and people under the two Patriarchs of Antioch (Ignatius and Ignatius Zakka) greatly desire the eventual full corporate union of the two bodies.Pope Petros and Pope Shenouda, of the Greek Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox Patriarchates of Alexandria, respectively, have signed a similar agreement.Theologians within the two traditions have come to theconclusion that the "in two natures" doctrine spelled out at the Council of Chalcedon and the "from two natures" doctrine which appears in most of St Cyril of Alexandria's writings and in the writings of post-schism non-Chalcedonian Fathers, are in fact both acceptable and Orthodox Christological formulas, if one can be sure that the first avoids Nestorianism and the latter Eutychianism. (Though, I have also heardAntiochian priests who argue that perhaps some interpretations of Nestorian Christological aren't
      heretical either.) There are certain difficultiesrelating to divergent liturgical traditions, the fact
      of the existence of two parallel hierarchies, and the question of how each Patriarchate can rescind the anathemas laid upon certain of the saints of the  other. These problems, it seems to me, will be relatively easy to deal with in time if in fact the Christological disagreements are merely the kind of disagreements over words which St Athanasius said should not divide us.
      But I have yet to see any explanation of how the two Traditions, each believing itself to be _the_ true Church can affirm that the other is also _the_ true Church, without subscribing to some form of the false "branch" or "lung" theories.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,
      Jeremiah

    • DANIEL BABU PAUL
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
        reference invited to the joint declaration of Pope JP II and Patriarch Zakka, 1984.
        TOTUS TUUS MARIA
        This referred document is available in our file section within the forum.
        Moderators